Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Dealer says belt is in spec & can't be tightened

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 09:47 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer says belt is in spec & can't be tightened

I'm hoping you guys might have some suggestions.

A few weeks ago I ran into my first belt slipping problem. I was in 4x4 in low range. The mud was real thick & sticky, but not wet, so I know that was not the cause. At one point I got high centered. When I tried to back out, the belt started slipping (in reverse only). My cousin ended up winching me out because I didn't want to glaze the belt.

I have the black spring in & the belt is in spec. Deflection is a little over an inch. Unfortunately there is only one shim so I took it to the dealer figuring they could do something. The service tech said that the last shim could not be removed. Furthermore they couldn't find a smaller shim to replace the existing one. They only had two suggestions:
1- Replace the belt (hopefully under warrantee). Unless the belt was stretched to begin with, I don't think this is the problem. I only have 150 miles on the P650 & have NEVER heard it slipping before.
2- Adjustment the weights. I didn't think the weights had anything to do with belt deflection.

So what do you guys think? Are there any suppliers of smaller shims? Should I just let them replace the belt under warrantee & hope for the best?

By the way, the belt should be under any excessive loads because I'm still running the stock Dunflops.

Thanks,
Ron

Old 12-15-2002, 10:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: goggleyed
I'm hoping you guys might have some suggestions.

The service tech said that the last shim could not be removed. Ron
Anyone know if this is true? I couldn't find that in the service manual. I am currently running without a shim. Am I messing something up?

Old 12-15-2002, 10:44 PM
Trailblazer

hey googleyed,
I have removed all the spacers and have been running my 650 some time that way with no problems. Belt deflection is at near minimum tolerance ( 0.87"). Also, have the black spring installed. Suggest you remove the spacer.

Old 12-15-2002, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

Goggleyed
Made spacer for mine from shimstock.

Old 12-15-2002, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

Shims are for belt adjustment only,nothing more nothing less.
If your belt is loose,take the shim out.

Andy G

Old 12-16-2002, 07:22 AM
Pro Rider

Removing the last shim could be detrimental to dealer profitability in the parts and service department.

It has no negative affect on the 650 CVT. I have about 700 miles with no shim in. Works wonderful.

Old 12-16-2002, 08:21 PM
Trailblazer

I knew I could count on you guys. Out the shim comes.

I think I'll let them replace the belt under warrantee first. Then when I get it home I'll pull the shim. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Progressives will go in the front end at the same time.

Mud Lite's will be next. Trying to decide on 26" or 27".

Thanks for the help!!!!

Old 12-16-2002, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

It may be real tight when you do that. Take it on a good long ride and it should loosen up quite nicely.

Old 12-16-2002, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

goggleyed, what size shim was in it? There are four different size shims. If it had one of the thicker ones in it to begin with, you can replace it with a thinner one to get your belt deflection back within spec.

Your tech guy doesn't know dick!! As alot of these guys have stated, you can run without a spacer and it will have no ill effects on your clutch. The only reason those spacers are in there is to give the clutch the optimum belt deflection.

Old 12-17-2002, 12:09 PM
Trailblazer

Mastrblastr- are the four shim sizes from Kawi or after market? If aftermarket, can you point me to a manufacturer?

I have 4 dealers within 20 miles of my house, not one of them could find a differant size shim in their parts catalog. Unfortunately, I'm used to shi**y service around here. I have a Kawi street bike & have been dealing with them for the last 4 years. That's why I bought the P650 strickly based on price. The idiots that I ended up getting the best deal from don't even have a certified Kawi mechanic & scuttlebut says they're about to loose they're deal with Kawi. When I asked their service guy about removing the last shim he said he had been there since April & hadn't removed any shims yet. Amazing!

Quick Reply: Dealer says belt is in spec & can't be tightened