Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

jetting or something else??

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jetting or something else??

i just went out for a quick ride on the 650 and the strangest thing happened, i started it up and allowed to to idel for about 5 min and gave it a little gas, i let off and it stalled. any other time this wouldn't be out of the ordinary. but when i started it again every time i got to right about half throttle it would spit and sputter and start back firing. i was on it tuseday and it ran fine, nothing like this was going on. its about 35 here and tuseday it was 15. could it just be the density of the air or did i really break something?????[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 12-19-2002, 10:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

hi bone this my be way off base but my 03 650 ran fine when i first got it and then started back firing just above idle but idled fine this happened to me on a ride and finnaly shut down come to find out one of the connectors was not plugged all the way in and came lose on my chargeing system since you didn't give details on mods or how long you have had 650 hard to say the only reason i thought of this was i have seen some posts on orther sites of this happening,just my 2 cents.

Old 12-19-2002, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider

i just went through everything electrical and found nothing to be the source (less i missed something wich is very possible). we are debating between water in the gas, something stuck in carb/ carb vent hoses, and the choke cable getting stuck. i heared kawi made the choke cable to short. if the choke were to freeze or get stuck open it might do something like this right????its totaly stock if that gives anyone a clue as to what i did this time. thanx much

Old 12-20-2002, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider

choke affects idel and low throttle only.

Water in gas, could be.

vent tube maybe.

Also, look at the end of the snorkel, is the rubber shield obstructing it?

Old 12-20-2002, 05:43 AM
Pro Rider

If you're in the habit of letting it idle for long periods of time with a cold engine, check your spark plugs for carbon tracking. As the cylinder pressure builds with the opening of the throttle, a plug could be mis-firing due to fouling.

Old 12-20-2002, 02:11 PM
Pro Rider

Boneshock
I believe you has a drop of moisture go through your carbs. I was installing motors in sleds a few weeks ago when i noticed the makuni carb has a tube about 5" long running down from carb bowl. This adaptation is to settle out water that is heaver then gas. This tube was full of ice, where did it come from ? condinsation is where it allways comes from. I allways run gas from 5 gal containers trough a funnel with a waterproof screen. NO mater how clean your gas cans are ,they develop moisture overnight, even your tank develops moisture.The only way to fight this is the waterproof funnel screen , keeping tank full, add isopropyl alcohol ( rubbing alcohol) to tank during cold weather. Every bit helps ,even if your extra clean it develops. The isopropyl alcohol keeps the water from freezing.
The cold weather brings about all kinds of misery, the alcohol keeps you from walking.

Old 12-20-2002, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

hey guys i figured out what it was. acctualy the dealer did. apparently if you let off the trottel quick sometimes the belt will come up and hit the little sencer making it belive something is friged up with the belt. so thats when that nice little safty feature in the cvt kicks in, woent let it rev past 3600 RPM. its in the owners manual, might want to check it out. it only took them like a half hour to fix. thanx for trying to help i guess [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 12-20-2002, 07:38 PM
Pro Rider

The belt must be too loose, I hope the dealer adjusted it while it was apart. You must have had flashing lights in your display to let you know there was a belt problem.

Old 12-20-2002, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider

thats what i thought too, but he said it wasn't. i sat there and watched him take it all apart. in the words of tweety bird "i tik theres something screwy goin' on here"