Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Black Spring Install - Leary about install.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 10:57 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Spring Install - Leary about install.

Hey guys, I've read probably every post concerning the installation of the black spring and I've read the how-to on NYROC's website.

My question is, how easy is it to install? From some of the pictures it kinda scares me, it looks as though I'll have this thing in many pieces. I haven't taken the cover off yet, so I don't know what it actually looks like in person.

Just wanna make sure I'll be able to do this myself. From everything i've read though, it does sound like it's an easy task and anyone can do it.

Just wanting a little feedback on this to calm me down a bit.. haha.... thanks for any input you can give me.

Old 12-20-2002, 11:15 PM
Range Rover

Hey guys,
Where can I get one of these springs? I've heard you all taking about them and they sound like a must, especially when the the little black box comes out. A website address would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old 12-20-2002, 11:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

www.erlandsonperformance.com

Old 12-21-2002, 12:07 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for the post, but what am I looking for at this site. I see that they have primary and secondary springs, but which one do I need and what color. Is the black spring actually the black secondary spring that is listed. I figured the primary is the one I need, but I'm not sure. What does anybody else have, or recommend.

Old 12-21-2002, 12:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

black is secondary for less belt slippage (kss3) more backshift,spring for primary or drive clutch red (drs12) changes engagement ,i have both but only left in black as i don't run oversize mudders, ingages a little to sudden for me but what it really comes down to is where and how you ride for some it's great others not, in tight tech. trails came on a little to much for me but thats just my 2 cents,hope this helps.

Old 12-21-2002, 12:37 AM
Range Rover

Relax and go slow. You will need to take a handful of screws off the right front fender. Then, the outer transmission housing comes off. The Electronic Braking actuator stays in place. This is the black cable on the top of the transmission housing. Once you loosen the housing, pull it off, invert it, and use a coat-hanger and tie it to the opposite side of the seat. Then use a screwdriver to walk the belt off. Then, the impact wrench to loosen the nut. And so on....NYROC's site explains all of this.

Put on some good country music, grab a nice beverage, and have fun, go slow....very very easy stuff!!

Chucky

Old 12-21-2002, 08:18 AM
Trailblazer

hey chucky I have the same setup with the 589s what springs do you run and how do you like them? Thanks T.

Old 12-21-2002, 08:57 AM
Range Rover

I have the black driven spring only. I was going to install the red, but I am getting mixed reviews on a couple of different forums. Most of my riding is either trail, or bog.....not much inbetween. I am happy with what I have. Soon, I am going to upgrade struts/shocks...then I am done.

Chucky

Old 12-21-2002, 09:06 AM
Pro Rider

Check on E-bay. Last night there was a pair of Progressive Suspension springs, brand new, and price was only up to $100! I would have bid on them myself, but not the time of year to be buying gifts for yourself!

Old 12-21-2002, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider

I would highly recommend the red spring to ANYONE who does rock crawl or doesnt need to move 1"-6" all the time when pulling out. It pulls a lot stronger with ANY tire you have on. To get full wheelies in high range with stock tires all you need to do is give it WOT and it comes up with ease. For the ease of installation "10min" and no special tools needed, and $19.95 it was well worth it for me.

Getting back to the topic. I didnt have to remove the fender. Also, its easier to remove the circlip with the proper circlip pliers. All I have is straight ones and it was a little difficult.

Chucky, sounds like your type of riding would benifit from the red spring.

Quick Reply: Black Spring Install - Leary about install.