Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Whats the best way to carry extra gas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2002 | 10:52 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Whats the best way to carry extra gas?

thanks for the info jaybee. I was thinking the same thing about the fuel packs having to unpack everything you stacked on top of it might be a pain. The reason I was inquiring about extra fuel was that some of the riding spots here have a lot of miles of trail. Apparently one of the places in big cypress reserve in the everglades has a 20 mile dirt road you ride down to GET to the trails, and there are 50-60 miles of trails there. Extra gas would definitely help. Also in the ocala national forest, i hear there are miles and miles of trails as well. I plan on getting a handheld gps like an etrex, but still, I'd feel better on these long rides with a little backup fuel. I hear ya on the sloshing. I'd really like to get that black Kawasaki cargo box mounted in the back, like Nyroc has on his quad, or in the pics. Anyone know if that black kawi box can hold a 5 gal can? I figure if I install the box, i can surely secure some cans inside it...?

Old 12-30-2002 | 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

I have a fuel pack..also found a black case specifically designed to put it in. very tough, durable never leaks.

Old 12-30-2002 | 11:30 PM
|
Pro Rider

I found this on cabela's site, looks pretty cool, what do you guys think? It doesn't really say how it mounts though.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...ype=index&rid=

Old 12-30-2002 | 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

the pump works extreamly well. My friend has one and the gas comes out really easy and and fast, plus, no mess. Definately worth the 5 bucks for the pump. It can also be used to syphon incase that is nessesary. The product is definately worth it.

Old 12-31-2002 | 12:31 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"

Lightman - once again I'll refer to my brothers P650. He's got both front and rear kawi black boxes. His final set-up has an extended rear rack with the Kawi box - behind the box is the 3 gallon aux tank. The Kawi box could hold several smaller (2 1/2 g.) tanks, but I think that the chance of spill or gas odor could ruin anything else you put in the box.

For a totally different alternative: When my brother first got the 650 he was running without any extra gas. Then we found that the thirsty Prairie had a safe range of 60-70 miles on it's 4.5 gallon tank. As we normally ride about 40 +/- miles on an average day we were probably safe, BUT..........

OTOH, My 4 gallon Eiger can easily go 110 - 120 miles so I had no worries. He was carrying all the gear in his boxes so I carried the extra fuel. I like to keep my racks as clear as possible so I got a 2.5 gallon tank that had nice tight screw on vent and main caps. I found a style that fit in low where the winch would normally go and tied it tightly into place. Since it was only there for emergencies I didn't mind that it would take a few minutes to get to it. as it turned out, we never had to use it and now that brother has his aux tank, I've ditched mine. It stayed there all season though and never leaked.

Now, if I were going on a longer than usual trip, I'd either put that 2.5 tank back up front or strap on the 3 gallon flat pack that we have.

It boils down to carrying enough fuel for a normal ride and possible emergencies with enough safety to keep you comfortable.

Jaybee

Old 12-31-2002 | 01:19 AM
Pro Rider

Jaybee, your above post is exactly right. You don't want to put a gas can inside a storage box due to a catastrophe if the can leaks. All the guys I ride with have external gas can carriers that are mounted on the backside of the rear rack. They hold from 1 to 2 1/2 gallons. I custom made one for my 650 that holds dual 1 gallon jerry cans. A lot of peace of mind having that extra fuel with you on a long ride.

Old 12-31-2002 | 07:49 AM
Pro Rider

Lightman--- The flat fuel pak, from Rocjy Mtn. and Cabella's is vented. Mine has a brass petcock, just like on old car radiators. Unscrew it a little, and you can pour 3.25 gal., real fast. They are expensive, but worth it, IMO. They are only about 2 1/2" thick, and you can place a lot of weight on them.

Old 12-31-2002 | 10:27 AM
|
Pro Rider

did anyone check out the link I posted above to that cabela's fuel carrier? Looks like it mounts to the back rack and holds 5 gals..?

Old 12-31-2002 | 06:19 PM
Pro Rider

Lightman i checked out the link you posted I think I like that better than any of the other ideas....Doesn't take up any rack space and in the picture it looks like it was attached to a Kawasaki ATV!

Old 12-31-2002 | 09:03 PM
|
Pro Rider

I plan on putting a box on the back rack, but not doing anything with the front rack. Maybe it would be a better idea after all to get the fuel pack, and put it on the front rack. That way I wont have anything sticking out in the rear, if I need to turn around in a tight spot, or if someone hits me from behind, they wont hit a gas can.

Is it perfectly ok to ride around with these fuel packs on the rack with all the bouncing etc? It clearly says on cabela's site that "Fuel Packs have non-venting, easy-pour anti-vibration caps". How do you vent them when the pressure gets high, like a gas can when you open the little cap and the fumes come out? I like the idea of the pack actually the more I've thought about it, probably better looking too.

Quick Reply: Whats the best way to carry extra gas?