Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Whats the best way to carry extra gas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2002 | 12:23 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Whats the best way to carry extra gas?

I will be getting a p650 this week or next and wonder for long rides whats the best way to take extra gas along? Is it safe to just tie down a red 5 gal can to the back racks? Any hints would be great. Thanks

Old 12-30-2002 | 01:35 AM
Range Rover

i've seen special gas packs that attach to your fourwheeler racks. i think they were in cabella's catalog. i'm not sure though.

Old 12-30-2002 | 01:49 AM
Trailblazer

ims has a set of tanks that go on the rear rack in the works

Old 12-30-2002 | 08:20 AM
Pro Rider

There are called fuel-paks. Cabella's , Rocky Mtn. ATV sell 'em. I think They are @ $70 incl. shipping from Rocky Mtn. They are tough, welll made. You can stack stuff on top of 'em, woithout damage. They fit well on the P-650 rear rack. I never tried mine on the frt. rack.

Old 12-30-2002 | 11:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Eats beans

Old 12-30-2002 | 11:03 AM
Pro Rider

Whenever i go on a long range recon, i carry two 1 gal gas cans. These cans are low profile and i bungee them down with spider bungees.They never move and dont take up much room , good part is when you dont need them you can leave them at home.
Have saved my a$$ more then once.

Old 12-30-2002 | 12:52 PM
Pro Rider

Been known to eat beans, and produce extra gas myself, LOL.
The fuel paks from Rocky Mtn. hold 3.25 gal., BTW

Old 12-30-2002 | 09:42 PM
Range Rover

I just ordered this:

Cabela's 5 Gallon Can with Pump

Now I just gotta get it centered, and tied down....

Pretty cool tho!

Chucky

Old 12-30-2002 | 09:46 PM
|
Pro Rider

is there anything wrong with properly tying down a normal 5 gallon red gas can full of gas, provided it doesn't leak? I looked into those fuel packs, they only hold about 3 gallons. The one description I could find said they were nonvented, so I imagine they would pour out or empty very slowly. Does anyone have one and can they comment on how they like it? Its nice its slim in design for ppl who are carrying a ton of stuff on top of it, but I won't be for the most part..

Old 12-30-2002 | 10:47 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"

There is nothing really wrong with tying down a regular 5 gallon tank - it's just tall and puts a fair amount of sloshing weight up high. The advantage of course is that you're out less than $10 for a tank and bungee cords. The other economical way is to use two smaller tanks to even out the weight.

There are several really good systems out there - The already mentioned 3 gallon flat pack does work well, although since you can stack things on top of it means that there will be a bit of unpacking to do to refuel on the trail. There are some brackets available that hold one or two 2 1/2 gallon tanks off the back of the rear rack, I can't recall the name but it was tested in one of the mags about a year ago - Looks like is is easy to use and puts the weight down lower. IIRC it was fairly expensive. My brother has a P650 and got an extended rear rack to hold a 3 gallon aux tank. It's about 30"x8"x4" and is permentally mounted to the rack. He just turns a valve to let the aux tank refill his main tank. It can also be set up as a true aux tank with a valve to switch between the two tanks.

The only other consideration is how far you usually ride. You can figure about 15MPG for the P650 under normal trail riding conditions - that's good for about 65 miles.

Jaybee

Quick Reply: Whats the best way to carry extra gas?