Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

initial service

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default initial service

well the time has come for that infamous $100 oil change. i was wondering if it would make a big difference if i did it myself or if i had the dealer do it. what exactly do they do, like what kind of fluids do they change and greaseing?. Also what kind of engine and differential oil do you guys use?
thanks!

Old 01-01-2003, 10:16 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default initial service

Do it yourself, I did.

Just keep your receipts of everything you buy. If you look on the Kawasaki website, you will see it does not void the warranty doing service yourself. Just make sure you keep the receipts.

What I did was, wrote down on a piece of paper the mileage/hours of the quad at time of service, then I wrote the date and what fluids I changed and what other things I checked. Which was everything mentioned in the owner's manual recommended service interval guide.

I then stapled my receipts for that service to the piece of paper and put them in a big brown envelope and then wrote " 650 Maintenance Records - Do Not Throw Away "

Simple enough.

I went to Autozone and purchased Havoline 4-Stroke ATV 10w40 Oil (3 quarts) @ $2.99/qt (This oil meets all requirements)
I also bought a Fram PH6607 Oil filter, which is the same filter a '02 Pathfinder uses. It has worked fine so far.
The 3 quarts was enough for the engine and the front differential.

I then purchased 1 quart of Kawachem Gear & Wet Brake Oil @ $5.45/qt. You only need 1qt of this oil.

To make things easy, I would recommend buying a oil filter cap, which attaches to a socket rachet. Just makes things a lot easier. I would also recommend picking up a on/off oil spout that attaches to your quarts of oil.

Really makes things a whole lot easier. It shouldn't take you long at all to do your first service..

Important note - make sure you don't lose the drain plug rings that come off when you remove the drain plug bolts.

Basically, just read ya manual.. It's easy to do the service yourself.