Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Newbie Question about Fuel Tap

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2000, 03:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pardon my ignorance, I have a question about the fuel tap on the 1986 Bayou 300 2WD ATV I just bought. I noticed it was set to RES (reserve) and looked in the tank and it was pretty low on gasoline. I moved the fuel tap to the ON position and as I did that fuel started leaking from the bottom of the fuel tap. I quickly moved it back to the RES position, but it wouldn't stop leaking. After about 5 minutes of moving the lever to various positions and pushing up and down on it and TALKING to it very seriously, it stopped leaking. What should I do here? Is there some type of an internal gasket or seal I need to replace? Or should I replace the entire fuel tap. I'd appreciate any suggestions here. I don't want to even take it out of the garage if all the fuel is going to leak out. It poses a real fire hazard too.

Also, do any of you have a good source for tires for this 1986 Bayou 300. I'd like tires similar to the OEMs. I don't race or ride through bogs, just some prairie trails type riding. It has 22-9-10 front tires and 24-11-10 rear tires. I'd appreciate if you have some phone numbers of Web site URLs to share. Same question about oil filters and air filters for this machine. My local dealer wants to make enough money on every purchase to retire on, so I am reluctant to deal with him.
Thanks in advance.

Old 04-09-2000, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It appears that the pet **** has a defective or dried up washer if it leaks from the bottom rather than at the tank/petcock area. You might remove the entire petcock, after draing the tank, of course, and separate the on/off lever from the petcock body. Not being familiar with Kawasakis, I'm not sure how the lever is connected or what type of washer is used to seal it. I'd guess it is an o-ring. Any way, when you get the thing off the bike you can no doubt figure it out.
As for tires, Rocky Mntn has the most complete inventory and usually the best prices. their web site is rockymountainatv.com They aren't set up for online sales but have an 800 number.

Old 04-11-2000, 10:20 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My best Kawasaki parts source is Midwest Action Cycle. You can reach them at 800-343-9065 or via e-mail at macycle@execpc.com. I've found their prices to be 10-30% less than my local swindler-uh, I mean dealer. Also- check this out...JC Whitney sells OEM replacement oil filters for your machine at an amazing two bucks each! Prices like that leave you no excuse to ever run oil more ten hours old. Good luck with that leaky petcock- I meant the quad.