Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Water in CVT Cover

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 08:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in CVT Cover

I have done clutch work on 2 P-650's now, and BOTH bikes had cover seals that were squeezed out of place, and could leak some. Both gaskets failed in NEARLY THE SAME PLACE! That being: the rear, upper corner of the cover.
Mine has never gotten wet. Luck, I guess.
BTW-- The cover is easy enough to remove, and install. It would be real easy to put a petcock on the bottom of the cover.

Old 01-14-2003, 09:05 AM
Pro Rider

CHUCKY

I agree, the water had to come in the vent for the CVT, if your cover was leaking it wouldn't have stayed full, it would have run back out.

You need to get some outrigers, with pontoons on that thing, or bigger tires so it will float. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

isn't the water cold this time of year.

Old 01-14-2003, 09:17 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with MDG and mastrblastr. As far as water riding goes, the tranny exhaust on the P650 is its weak point.

I looked at the P650 before I bought one and tried to figure out a way to snorkle it. The front intake and air intake would be pretty simple. On the tranny exhaust the simpliest and easiest way I could think of is to fabricate a "cap" to fit over the oval shape opening of the CVT cover. Just take the rubber air duct off and replace it with the "cap". The cap would be made of an inner tube that is the closest size to the opening, preferably a little smaller so you can streach it over. As far as the top part of the "cap" it could be made of different materials. Hold it in place with glue and a worm gear clamp.

When it comes time to play in the water just pull this "cap" out and install it. Play in the water a bit and when you are done put the original rubber air duct back on.

Another way one might be made is to take the top clamp loose on the rubber air duct and insert a fabricated oval shape part in it and put the clamp back on. Im not sure if you would have enough room for the rubber air duct to bend over or not though.

Other than this you would have to make a complete snorkle like I did for my Kodiak.