Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Water in CVT Cover

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 08:37 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in CVT Cover

Man, I got my Prarie <U>WET </U>today. Water in the pipe, cylinders, and in the belt cover. Cylinders locked up. I tore it down on the edge of the stream, got the water out of the pipe and cylinders, and got it cranked back up. Little to no water in the oil.

My CVT cover was FULL.

1) This is supposed to be a closed environment. How did this water get in there?

2) I had to pop the bolts to drain the water....isn't it supposed to have a drain?

3) If there is an air inlet, can I snorkel it so this does not happen again?

Thanks!

Chucky

Old 01-11-2003, 09:06 PM
Trailblazer

Chucky - they put a drain in the 03's. Don't know if the 02's have a drain or if you have to rely on the fan to blow out the water/moisture.

Old 01-11-2003, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

chucky
There was a thread on the 02 kawi, and how to install a drain at one time, but i dont remimber how it turned out.
Im sure someone figured out how to install a petcock in lower part of cover. Do a search if necessary to see what the answer was, it probably is a handy thing to have.

Old 01-11-2003, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

i have an '03 im just wondering where this drain is just in case i need it sometime

thanks

Old 01-12-2003, 09:36 AM
Range Rover

Chuckybrown

The air intake for the CVT system is up at the same level as the snorkel for the air box. If you get deep enough to get water in there chances are your going to get water in your air box, carbs, and cylinders as you are already aware. This is what I would call pushing the envelope and may be hazardous to the health of your quad. A drain should be a mute point.

Old 01-12-2003, 11:32 AM
Range Rover

Airbox/Snorkel stayed dry. I got water in the cylinders thru the tailpipe. My machine died in the high water. When I took off the "S" shaped air guide off the top of the CVT housing to get to the spark plug on the back cylinder, the water was standing all the way to the top of the air intake for the CVT. My air filter was dry. Thus my question....where did the water come in? My CVT cover has been off many times....do I need a new gasket?

After I got my engine running, the bike would not move once in gear because of all the water. We stood it up on its back tires and drained out as much water as we could, but it was still half full, and slipped alot the first couple of miles back.

Thanks for your input.

Chucky

Old 01-12-2003, 11:42 AM
MDG
Range Rover

The water may have gotten in thru the CVT exhaust. It is under the seat by the battery. I believe that S shaped duct that you took off is the exhaust for the CVT not intake.

Old 01-12-2003, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

MDG, I agree. The water probably got in through the CVT exhaust. If your muffler was under water Chucky, then your CVT exhaust was probably under too.

Old 01-12-2003, 01:12 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the input. Now I just gotta figure a way to snorkel all this....

Old 01-14-2003, 03:13 AM
Pro Rider

I know guy who I saw muddin and got water in his belt, he said it works if you put it in neutral and let it warm the belt and occasionally rev the motor for heat, I am not sure about this because he was on a poolaris so he might have only had some knowlage left

Quick Reply: Water in CVT Cover