Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Penland Series Big Gun

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 03:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Penland Series Big Gun

The Penlands exhaust was a breeze to install compared to the HMF. When I put on the HMF I ended up having to cut the pipes cause one was too long and then had to bend the front one slightly to get it all to fit. The Penlands exhaust slipped right in with no mods and alot less time.

Old 01-16-2003, 11:12 AM
Range Rover

OK fellas....How much did the Penland exhaust run you guys? I've been trying to turn my head (trying to wait until spring for an exhaust) to this thread but now I'm very interested. Let me know. Do you have to go through Big Gun directly or do other retailers have it? How much? Shipping? Thanks....

I really wanted to wait for the CDI so I could buy both at the same time. That way when I smoke everyone they will all think it's the new exhaust...but they wouldn't know I had a little 'Sneeky Pete' under the seat.

Parker

Old 01-16-2003, 12:31 PM
MDG
Range Rover

The MBRP rep said that they plan on having an exhaust for the 650 this spring. I wonder how it will compare. Anyone have any experience with them?

Old 01-16-2003, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider

Complete system was $400 plus shipping, which ran about $15 from CA to KC. Had to order direct from Big Gun. They have a toll free # on their web site www.biggunexhaust.com and I called them a bunch of times with different questions. They were very helpful. A little slow on shipping, but I got it a couple weeks later. Install was not too bad, pipes fit together very tightly. Overall fit was pretty decent, no alterations necessary. It sounds awesome, not too loud. It sounds like a Vtwin with a pipe, but not like a Harley as others have posted. Very quiet at idle. I need to find someone w/ a decible meter to measure it.

Old 02-24-2003, 04:07 PM
Pro Rider

I just ordered a Penland Big Gun exhaust for my P650. Mike is a good guy to deal with and has a ton of stuff for the P650 an other machines. Filters, springs, pipes, plastic, etc. Give him a call if you're looking for stuff because he doesn't have a catalog or web site. It was good to place an order with someone that could answer a jetting question about the product you're ordering. He said I may need to step up to a 150 jet with the pipe on, but we'll have to see how it goes.

His price on the exhaust is the same as Big Gun, so support both of them by buying from Mike.

Mike's number is 706-746-2812.

Old 02-24-2003, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

HMF has quit manufacturing the full exhaust for the prairie however I have one and it is loud however I had to do not mods to put it on and it sounds great. I changed the jets to 145 rear and 142 front added the DG Snorkle and mine runs like mad.

I chose the HMF purely because it is one of the larger diameter exhaust kits if you find one about twice the size of stock and it also is free flowing all the way back.

I installed a Mike Penland series on a friends bike seems to me the MSRP on the thing from mike was about 400 about the same for most of them and the Penland series while nice it seems to me I jetted the thing 145 front 148 rear and raise the needle a notch to get it right. No matter what you do keep the factory jets as they seem to work better than the aftermarkets for some reason. Also when changing your systems out think about this I did NYROC's mod and gained about as much as the Penland exhaust gave when opening the end up to the full diameter of the pipe center as well as cutting the same diameter into the first set of baffles.

Old 02-24-2003, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

I'm running a 148 front and 145 rear with Kehlin jets. I ordered a 150 just in case I need to step up one more. I still need to shim my air needles, the washers are here, I just need to get it done.

Picking an exhaust is tough. HMF, and a lot of others, make good pipes. Two things lead me to the Penland Big Gun - ceramic coating is something I've been hooked on since I put full length FLP headers on my Impala SS. The coating help keep the temp down in the engine area as well as protecting from rust like nothing else can on an exhaust. You just have to use care when installing them so that you don't chip the ceramic coating, although I've never seen or known anyone that has chipped it.

Second, the concept of the stepped header makes sense to me, but I'm not sure if it's a measurable improvement in power. Matching the port diameter to the header port is a common performance move in cars, so I'm extrapilating a bit that it makes sense in our motors. I'm not sure if it amounts to anything in the real world.

All these choices are what make it fun [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

SgtRock

Old 02-25-2003, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider

what do youguys think about pro circuit pip

Old 02-25-2003, 06:59 PM
Pro Rider

what is the diffrence betwen penland big gun and BIG GUNS big gun exuast

Old 02-26-2003, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider

PBR's has a stepped pipe where the others don't that is pretty much it. I also hear from other forums the PBR muffler is not holding up so it is hard to decide. I think the Yoshimura is a viable system with quiet core and race core just my thoughts. I personally use the Nyroc method with 12, 1/2 inch holes with a progressive pipe to the muffler and it is a lot cheaper to build if you have one those mickey mouse welders.

Quick Reply: Penland Series Big Gun