Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

rincon or prairie 650?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rincon or prairie 650?

DRG, I would get a bunch of ATV magazines and check out all the shootouts they have between all the bigbores. I know, I know, a lot of the guys on these forums couldn't give a rats a$$ about what the rags say but lets be honest, these guys ride these things for a living, they gotta know a little more about quads than your average joe. On the flipside, if you want an unbiased opinion on which one to buy, you're gonna have a hard time getting a straight answer out of any of us. Us 650 owners love our Kawie's, the Rincon boys love their Honda's, the 700 guys love their Polaris's-------------. Dash has the best advice. Ride both and then you'll buy the Kawie!!!!!! I love my 650!!!

Old 01-22-2003, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider

Rincon, Give it a rest. go ride your kodiak.
Gee stupid me, i thought this was a forum! Which way to the bathroom?

Old 01-22-2003, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider

DRG:
One thing that you mentioned that you didn't like was the VIBRATION on the Polaris's...I believe the Rincon Vibrates possibly even more(Correct me if I'm wrong) I have read this on numerous occasions. The Kawi has the SMOOTHEST RUNNING engine out there... due to the 90 degree V-TWIN. I rode with a guy with a Grizz660 and he got on my machine and was blown away by how smooth the engine was. Sure the ride is not as smooth as an I.R.S. but my hands won't be numb from vibration at the end of the day either. Ride both and see what you like best. The Kawi has distinct advatages over all machines , such as The most power ever put to the ground in a 4x4 quad. Yes everyone knows it's fast but the tourqe is even more impressive! I plow with mine and it's a beast, the tires NEVER stop turning...ever! The rear brakes are completely sealed and will NEVER freeze up in winter and will go forever without maintenance (10,000kms or 6000 miles for the first service!) The ON-THE-FLY LOCKER is ALL important in rough country. Anyone that doesn't believe a locker is important obiously don't ride in the same conditions I do. I LOVE the styling of the Rincon...but untill I actually ride one I am less than Impressed with all I've read about it. I can't see it being superior to the Kawi in any category other than the smooth ride. The Rincon offers nothing that appeals to me for it to warrant the extra money it cost's. Even at an equal price I still believe it's down on performance and features compared to the Kawi. That doesn't make it a bad machine by any means...but for my money , I'd look elsewhere. Maybe The ride and Honda's reputation will win you over...but in a shootout of Power,Brakes,Speed,Stability,Traction(LOCKER),Towi ng,Mudding with big tires,Engine Smoothness(you said it was important to you) I believe the Kawi wins HANDS DOWN! Anyone dissagree with that? Happy Shopping !

ROB

Old 01-22-2003, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

If it was me i'd take the IRS, it's only one thing, but it's a big one! Once you ride an IRS quad you'll never want to go back! That's why i'm looking for one. Power is nice, but i've said this before, in the woods 60mph aint gonna help you. this IRS will keep all 4 wheels on the ground more often than a straight axel quad. I've ridden a p650 and they are very powerfull, but power isn't everything. Also whoever said that the p650 is better on off chambers, think about that one again.

Go ride both and see which one YOU like the most.

BTW i'm not just saying get the rincon because it's a honda, if he said he rides on fire roads, and open trails i'd say the p650 all the way!

Old 01-22-2003, 10:11 PM
Range Rover

Had an IRS Sportsman, sold it as fast as possible......now have a P-650! IRS isn't a big deal!!! SERIOUSLY! It isn't any fun riding a lazy-boy, you might fall asleep!

Old 01-22-2003, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider

It all depends on where you ride. where i do it's nice to have IRS, that may not be the case for you, but i think it is for DRG.

Old 01-22-2003, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider

I would get tha prairie it has tons of power, in low gear if all you do is tap the throtle it climbs 5mph instantly[serously go try]. the 650 is also a great dune machien. it feels like a cadalac on the sand, i also beat a raptor on the sand 4 out of 5 races. on more thing i have been able to get 125 miles on one tank.

Old 01-22-2003, 10:58 PM
Range Rover

Rincon

YOU need to look at it again. Every shoot out rated the kawi as the best off-camber machine except one...it rated the traxter and then the kawi. The design allows for a Lower center of gravity and better weight distribution which makes it better in off-camber and CLIMBING...dont forget that one or is climbing not that important either...just dont say it aint so...throw some of your facts out there...what do you base this honda being so good in the off-cambers on...you cannot be basing that solely on the IS...if so your way off...in fact your lost. I have ridden several times with riders that have Pol 700s with their IS...coming down hills and off-camber that thing is so unstable you are in a constant fight with it...those riders will tell you the same...so IS isnt the trade off for power you try to claim. In the initial reviews all the trade magazines has jumped on the band wagon stating that the honda is a NICE quad but lacks when compared to the other big bore competitors.

Again, it depends on how you want to ride...but i still cant see paying more for less...and Rincon, that is exactly what your doing despite how you try to justify it.

Old 01-22-2003, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

The IRS (IS??) allows the quad to sit more level on off chambers where as a straight axel quad will lean down the hill. You are right about the p650 being very stable, but in this it gives up GC. Don't try to tell me the p650 has good GC, stock. The rincon has the best ride, i don't care what the mags say (even tough the one i have says it is the best handler) Some may say different, but go ride one and see for yourself. The only advantage the p650 has is power, and it aint that much!

How many of you think that the p650 has a lot more power than the sp700? Well everyone says it does, so we drag raced (flat, on pavement) and they were very close, with the p650 winning by a nose! so they are all very close, and if you get there 2 quads lengths ahead of the rincon, well WOW that's a whole 3/8th's of a second!!

Old 01-22-2003, 11:21 PM
Range Rover

Rincon, you are mistaken...... IRS is very tippy! You get that little bit of extra ground clearence combined with the geometry of an IRS and it isn't the best combo! I have had both and the Kawi by far is much more stabile on hills.

Oh, and where I ride, it is sloppy rack high mud pits.... big rocks....etc with a quick tire upgrade, this thing can handle it all! The locker is key to this! 3 wheel drive ain't gonna get you out of some of the stuff I've been through!

Quick Reply: rincon or prairie 650?