Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

mojave carb

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2003, 11:10 AM
Range Rover
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default mojave carb

Ok, heres the deal, yesterday my cousin bought an 87 mojave basket case for $250. He recruted me into helping him fix it up. After looking it over, I talked him into doing a frame up restoration on it. We pulled the motor out and are rebuilding it. The problem is that when I pulled the carb one side of it was covered with BJ weld. So does anyone have a carb the want to part with? Does any one know where I can get one? Also am I going to run into any problems rebuilding this motor?
Any help, would help.

Old 02-01-2003, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mojave carb

I have Mojave carbs, any year you want. The only difference in all of them is, I think before 1990 there is a fixed pilot jet that you can't change where the later years have a screw in #35 pilot that can be changed to different sizes. Either will work and the size will never need changed weather you go big bore or what ever. Oh, the cally models have completely different innerds than the rest of the 49 states.

As far as rebuilding contact megacycle. They sell, 11.5:1 pistons, cams, valve springs, valves and a few other things. Watch out for the valve rocker arms. There was a few years that showed pitting on the contact surfaces. They can be re-surfaced, just look for it.

On a 87 upgrade the kick start gear, they are proned to strip out and bind up.

I did a full bore quote on a 97 using everything including porting, I estimated $750 for me to do it. Expect to pay $500 for a complete rebuild, to include machining, clutch and consumables.

Hope that helped ya!!

Old 02-04-2003, 01:21 PM
Range Rover
Default mojave carb

Hey Gaff, Thanks for the help. I've spent the last 4 days rebuilding and painting. I do have a question though. Is it common for the timing/ cam chain to strech. When we bought it his friend told him the timing chain was out. When I cracked it open the chain was so loose that it jumped the gears on the cam and the timing was off. Is that to be expected on a 16 year old bike? Also you tell me how much you want for a carb and I'll send you the $
Probably after 90. Here is my e-mail ogeron4wheels@yahoo.com Let me know! Thanks allot!!

Old 02-05-2003, 08:17 AM
Pro Rider
Default mojave carb

Yah the timing chains should be replaced on any engine that has some time on it. It's pretty common for them to get that stretched over time, exspecially if it's 16 yearas old.

Let me see what I have ready to go as far as carbs go, About $75 sounds reasonable.

Old 02-05-2003, 01:14 PM
Range Rover
Default mojave carb

That sounds great. I am leaving for vegas today to get hitched, so it will be a week befor I see a computer agian so I will have to get back with you next tuesday. I want it but I didnt want you to think I was ignoring you .

Old 03-09-2003, 01:51 AM
Range Rover
Default mojave carb

Hey Gaff, you still out thier? I put this post up a while back and I deffenatly need a carb now. If your still kicking let me know and give me details on where to send the $$. I appreicate the help.

Old 03-09-2003, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default mojave carb

Make sure that you take a good long gander at the valves. The mo seems to like to eat the intake valves, Weird since every other engine eats exhaust valves.

Check the intake cam and it's follower for wear.

Old 03-09-2003, 04:25 PM
Range Rover
Default mojave carb

Yea, they were bad so I went ahead and replaced them all. Intake and exaust. The cams and fowllers were fine. I got the engine back together and started but the carb is unfixable so I am stuck till I get a new one.

Old 03-10-2003, 03:31 AM
Pro Rider
Default mojave carb

sorry about that, had to work, bummer.

It's late now but I'll PM you tomorrow.

Old 03-11-2003, 10:31 PM
Range Rover
Default mojave carb

Hello? Any body thier?

Quick Reply: mojave carb