Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

High Altitude Clutch Kit??

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2003, 02:20 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Altitude Clutch Kit??

Saw a Kawasaki high altitude clutch kit mentioned on the forum.
Haven't heard of that before,
can someone shed some light on the subject?

Old 02-14-2003, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider

I think it's just shims for the primary clutch to raise the engagement speed slightly.

Old 02-14-2003, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider

not really sure, I haven't heard of them, but I think it would be a different spring and heaver clutch weights so your motor doesn't over rev in the lighter air. I could be wrong.

Sorry Scott, I didn't know that you had posted, I'm just guessing, I don't know for sure,

Old 02-15-2003, 02:37 AM
Trailblazer

It has shims and weights.

Old 02-15-2003, 02:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What it does is: A spacer is added to the Spring, stiffens it up & the ramp weights are replaced.
Result : Allows the torque to build up (stalls) at the lowest rpm which lets the P650 motor to preform with more available low end torque. I can not feel this (stall) & this 650 will jump off the line in a hurry. When comparing with the kit installed vs when 650 was in stock form (no kit), without a doubt I have more power available when I punch the throttle now & the powerband is strong. This kit was installed before I added the DG Snorkle.
Kawasaki only recommends this clutch kit be installed for us buyers who ride in the 8000 ft. & higher range of elevation.
Along with the taller tires, I am 100% happy with the Kawasaki clutch kit & it seems to work as it is designed to.
All of my riding is in the 8,000 ft to 10,000 ft range here in north central NM & every summer I go to Colorado and get up to the 9,000 to 13,000 ft elevations.

Old 02-15-2003, 11:58 AM
Range Rover

Have you an idea of how much the stall speed is increased,
and does it make the engagement a little sudden?
Also if you remember the cost. Sounds like this might be a
good thing anywhere.
Love riding in the Silverton, Ouray, Lake City area.
Maybe I'll see you out there sometime.

Thanks for the info

Old 02-16-2003, 03:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oxygen:
At one time I knew that answer on the stall time but now I don't remember. I'll check with my dealer & have him call the Kawa tech to find out.
Very early last year I was talking to a Kawasaki Tech at a dealership & he sold me on the clutch kit but he said they didn't recommend the kit for non-high altitude riding & only recommended the kit for consent high elevation riding. He said that if you only ride for a few weeks in the higher elevations, that it would be a waste of $$$ to have the kit installed & when you ride back at your normal low altitude, your preformance will be down with the clutch kit installed. Since I never ride below 7000 ft, I do not know if that statement is true.
The parts consist of 4 ramp-weights & a spring spacer, cost $130.00 parts only. I had the dealer install it but he gave me a break on the install cost because I was a repeat buyer from him. They say it takes 3 hours to do the clutch kit.

I am only 4.5 hours from Lake City,CO from my home here in NM. I noticed on another "post" you stated you maybe going to colorful Colorado in August, I'll be heading up in late June thru July 12th of this year. I'm heading up to Grand Lake 1st, then Leadville, then to northeast of Gunnison (Hancock) but I always like to ride the Lake City/Ouray areas, so if you do go up in August, let me know the dates as-soon-as-possible, so I can check the vacation board at work, maybe I could meet you up there for a few days & lets do some awesome high-country 4wheeling!

Last summer me & a buddy rode the Flat Tops (N of Glenwood Springs) we rented a cabin at Sweetwater Lake & right on the lake, nice place. It is a ok place to ride, the biggest drawback was a long drive-in to unload the ATV trailer every morning. The only good ride in the Flat Tops was "Adams Lake", this lake is at 10,000 ft & by having the front dif-loc, sure made it easier getting up that steep hill climb to the lake, I even manage to pop a wheelie going up too fast but I did have a blast doing the wheelie.

So far, I have't found any other riding areas in Colorado that can beat the Lake City/Ouray riding atventures but I am still exploring other parts of Colorado.
Bruce

Old 02-16-2003, 12:43 PM
Range Rover

Hey BFB650B2

Thanks for the info on the clutch, if it's not recommended
for lower altitudes I'm not going to do it, I ride at 2500ft
at home.
I have a buddy with a Yamaha Kodiak who will be coming to
Colorado with me, it would be great if you could join us for a few days
We both have rv's so we can stay anywhere there is a decent