Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

weight of the new V-twin 700?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weight of the new V-twin 700?

mtecate4g, That is what kind of has me puzzled. You would think that it would have been easy for them to make this over 100lbs lighter than the Prairie 650. Maybe they just have a really beefy frame to support the heavy V-Twin and auto setup? I guess they didn't use aluminum A-arms to keep cost down, who knows. I think if they would have kept the weight down in the 460lbs or so they would have kept a lot of skeptics quiet, but at 516lbs with the auto, there are just gonna be some people who will never give it a chance. Of course the Polaris Scrambler has sold a ton, so I'm sure this beast will too anyhow.

Old 02-26-2003, 01:47 PM
RPM
Pro Rider

I thought that it would have come in at a lower weight too. But then if you start to think about it, they saved weight by deleting the Front drive assembly, but then add weight back to it by going with the A-arm/Shock setup instead of the Struts. Other than removing the Racks, where else would they save weight? The Frame? Remeber that this is going to be a Torque Monster and the Frame has got to be able to handle it.

I have a feeling that they knew it was going to come in heavy and that is why they went to 700cc instead of just using the P650 motor. That is also probably the reason for the 43 to 45 ftlbs of Torque. The best way to overcome the weight is with a bunch Torque. Torque is that seat of the pants pull that you feel, Not HP.

It will be interesting. So far all of the Industry Insiders (Magazine Test Riders), have said that the KFX700 doesn't feel like a 500 + lb Quad. I don't think that anything about this Quad was an accident or a mistake. Kawi has been developing the 700 for some time, and I think that they started out knowing what had to be done and did what it takes to make it work. They (Kawi) is stating their rep as well as their $$$ (Racers financial backing and support) on the success of this Quad. That has to say something about their confidence.

We will all see soon enough (NOT soon enough for those of us who have already put $$$ on the table).

Old 02-26-2003, 02:13 PM
Range Rover

I talked to my dealer who had a chance to ride one and he said it was a blast, "unbelievably fast", however he did tell me that you can feel the weight a little bit. So as to the question is the weight noticeable or not I don't know the answer but I will offer this, Yamaha came out with the first high performance four stroke snowmobile last year and there were those who ordered one immediately and there were those who called it a piece of **** due to the wieght of over 600lbs. Everyone I ride with thought it was a good idea but they need to do something about the weight but my boss didn't feel that way and he ordered one. Now after getting to put some seat time on it this winter I will tell you this I ride a race 440 one of the lightest sleds made second to only the mini sleds and I will tell you something after riding that yamaha with such smooth and torquey power I thought it felt no heavier then my sled and I would have no problem riding it because everyone I know who has ridden it said the same it doesn't feel heavy at all and this thing weights 200lbs more then my 440. Conclusion: enough torque will make anything feel light but loading it in the truck you may feel the weight. Later

Old 02-26-2003, 03:33 PM
Pro Rider

I guess the only way to be able to tell is ride one i guess. I can say this though, even though its heavy it should be one he11 of a hillshooter. I see this thing with 800cc kits running away from all the other modded 4 stroke bikes. One thing alot of people complain about shooting the dunes is not being able to pull the right gears up the hills. This wont be a problem with the 700. Thats one reason i like clinbing hills and such better on my 650 then on my Raptor is i am always in the right gear. I can easily out do anything up some nasty hills. I find myself going faster on the trails too because i dont have to shift. Maybe the weight disadvantage will more than make up for itself in ridability and make it easier to go faster. I have found also that after you learn how to do it a CVT quad can roost and wheelie just as good as a manual once you learn how to do it. Maybe the only thing that will be a disadvantage is loading it in the truck. Cant wait to ride one.