Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Utah riders, 650 jetting??

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 05:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Utah riders, 650 jetting??

Northern Utah riders, I am curious which jets (Kehien preferably) have been working the best for your machines. Newgate motorsports put in 130f and 135r jetting in mine and it runs awesome except for the higher altitudes like skyline dr. (9,000 sqft. I think.) I live in Syracuse and do most of my riding on the bench. "Uintahs" signature says that he has the 145 main. I still don't understand that.

Please tell me what jets have been working the best for you.

Old 02-22-2003, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider

You people that live around 4200ft and ride up to 10000 ft either need fuel injection or use a dial a jet.

Jet it a couple sizes lean first, then install a dial a jet kit. Alltoys know the most about the dial a jet.

That way, you can just turn a dial a few notches when you drive up really high, and turn it back when you get lower.

Old 02-22-2003, 07:02 PM
Trailblazer

I agree with nyroc, here in Utah it is to easy to be riding at 6000 feet and 30 minutes later be at 10,000 feet! I run mine at 132f and 138r. Does it run rich? Ya at 10,000 feet. But I can still ride it at 5300 feet and not worry about burning it up. If I go camping for the week I drop to 130f and 135r.
Besides for the most part people still can't keep up with me even if I am running rich.

Old 02-22-2003, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

The #145 main jet I "was" running was to lean, but it's for a P-360, I think it's a whole different ball game with the 650.. I went back the the stock #155 for now, it seams to be working good in the cold weather, but when it warms up & I'm getting back up to 8000 ft + I will probably be switching back to a #150 or #145 I'll have to do some experimenting.. I was thinking of getting the dial up jet but have seen some people not like it much.. I know last summer when I got up around 9500 ft+ I noticed some loss in power so I'll probably just try & find a happy medium..

Old 02-23-2003, 11:16 AM
Range Rover

I run 142f and 145b with the snorkel, twin air filter, and soon to have NYROCs mod.

Newgate put 135f and 138r after a couple initial attempts at jetting failed...it ran alright stock with this setup. However, after the snorkel and air filter she was extremely hard to start and get warm in cold weather...constantly coughing and sputtering. Also when we got her out she seemed to top out at about 58 where i had her doing 64 before.

I have since put in the 142/145 combo and she seems to run alot better, starts right up in warm or cold weather, had her out front wheeling away and she just seems more aggressive and wanting to move...seem to notice the advantage to my air mods more than previous...sure it will get better once the exhaust mod is done.

On another note...i cant get progressive spring around here...dealers are telling me they are still in production and cant get for a couple of months...i tell them people have them and show them in their parts book where they are listed for $159...no go.

Call progressive suspension...after three contacts and my begging they say alright we will sell them to you direct...for $169???? I say that is higher than your suggested retail price to the dealers...he tells me that is what they will sell them for and lets me know i have to pay for shipping charges which will be 10 or so dollars. I have no problem buying and dealing with items for my car, house, other hobbies, computers even, but i run into the worst luck and experience with the ATV industry.

Old 02-24-2003, 01:33 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the information!

Bosox, where do you do most of your riding? With the air mods, do your new jets allow you to go around 8,000 sqft and higher?

Dash, what jetting settup has worked for you?

I am considering a k&N with a sock cover and Nyroc's exhaust mod. Maybe your size jets would be the best to go to. Where did you get your jets? Newgate doesn't have a clue about jetting.

Old 02-26-2003, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider

Has anyone else at around 4500 ft elev. done these mods? I figured it would be a cheap way to get a little more grunt out of the p650!

Thanks for any info..

Old 02-26-2003, 08:46 AM
Range Rover

Trailburner

I do most of my riding down by Nolls, Blacksmith (logan), Monte Cristo and farmington. A trip or two down to the great western trail or puite and this weekend I am going to 5 mile pass...heard that is a real nice area.

Havent taken it out since i rejetted...just prior to I know i was running to lean with the snorkel and such. I got my jets at Vesco's for $2.50 each. I dont shop at Newgate and Big Boys wanted $8.50 a jet...they say because they get theirs directly from Kawi...dont know why that would make a difference.

I heard the KN filter is high maintenance for the P650 (grease to make fit) and it doesnt work well in sandy areas...not sure just info that i have picked up. Around here though, if you increase that airflow you will more then likely have to rejet

Old 02-26-2003, 06:47 PM
Pro Rider

Ok... I am going to tip my hat and reveal what kind of idiot I am.... I am in no way mechanically inclined. So I cough up the extra cash to have it worked on. My stock jetting sucked so I took into Newgate... they totatly screwed it up. It ran horribly. Since most of my riding is done in central utah I took it to a dealership in Mt. Pleasant figuring they would know the right configuration... They nailed it. It does very well 6,000-10,500.

A quick call to Ron Greene Kawasaki In Mt. Plesant may reveal the secret.

Ok... let loose on your insults

Old 02-26-2003, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider

dash, I am keeping a database of jetting settings on my website. Do you know what yours is, most of my stuff is for lower elevations and it might be good to list yours if it is right on. Tell me any intake or exhaust mods, and what needle and main settings are used.

Thx.

Why would you be an idiot? For taking it to newgate? Ok, maybe that wasn't the smartest, but a lot of people make that mistake. Those people clain to be able to do it, so I can understand why you might be tempted to take it there.

Quick Reply: Utah riders, 650 jetting??