Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

loose bolt

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loose bolt

i foudn a bolt laying on the garage floor today, i read that someone else had this happen to him before. looked exactly like all the other engine bolts, so i thought i would check the chain tensioner but it had all its bolts so i took off the plastic around the air box to have a look see, nothing was missing. i put that all back together and crawled under the quad to see if i could get a better look at the front cylinder, they looked to be all there. then went on to the last resort and i found it! i had to take the engine skid plate off to get at it though, fit prefectly. it was one of the bolts that hold the two halves of the engine together, right below and off to the side of the recoil starter. im gonna be takin it in to the dealer any way to get that filter recall taken care of so im gonna have them re-tighten the engine bolts

sure am glad i found it though!

Old 02-23-2003, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default loose bolt

Good hunting!

Old 02-23-2003, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default loose bolt

The was me that lost the bolt on the chain tensioner. I still think I may be missing one under the black piece covering the exhaust pipe next to your leg, but I have no bolt to go there. I think its from the head where there is a rectangular indentation. If any 650 rider can check theirs and let me know I would really appreciate it. I cant see it in the diagram at buykawasaki.com. thanks

Old 02-23-2003, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default loose bolt

on each cylinder head there are 2 holes that are threaded and have kind of a line going across the diameter of the hole there isnt supposed to be screws in there by rectangular indent do you mean the plates on the top of the cylinder? ill take a look tommorow when i take her in to the dealers

Old 02-23-2003, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default loose bolt

By looking at the diagram online it says its on the head. If you go to buykawasaki.com and check out the cylinder head diagram look at the almost lowest point of all the pictures(but above the gasket). There you'll see an indent on the head and the top of it is machined with a hole of the top part of the rectangle. This is where I think I am missing a bolt. Let me know if you understand where I mean if you check out the diagram. Thanks

Old 02-24-2003, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default loose bolt

i think i know what you are talking about. i to thought at first my bolt went there, but after close inspection the bolt was to small and just slide in and out of that hole. that hole is also on each cylinder (both cylinders had nothing in that hole). there also wasnt any "outline" from the dirt collecting around the head and leaveing a mark where the bolt should have been, like there was when i found where my other bolt went.

i went to the dealers today w/ my air filter, all they do is tug on the black foam where it is attached together and test it for strength, mine passed so i didnt get a new one [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] the tech guy also said that i should check all the other bolts for tightness and if any are loose im gotta spray some lock tight on them and that should take care of it

Old 02-24-2003, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default loose bolt

thanks alot. I really appreciate it