Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

loudness of the factory Muffler Mod.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 08:56 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loudness of the factory Muffler Mod.

One thing I love about this bike is how inexpensive you can hop it up.

Ordered my black spring, and 145 main jet today. Hopefully I will get them put on Saturday.

Drilled the airbox yesterday, but the bike is jetted too lean. I had to put duct tape over part of the hole.

I was wondering how loud the muffler mod found on NYROC's web sight is. Where you take a 18" drill bit, drill through the baffles and weld it back.

I live East KY and we ride ATV's on pubic hollow roads and through populated area's often.

Is it just a tad louder than stock? (Ok)

or Loud as a two stroke dirt bike with factory pipe. (Ok)

or loud as a super trap after market exhust system (this is too loud for my area.) and friend of mine has one on a warrior and you can here him a mile away.

Just wanted your opinions.

Old 02-24-2003, 09:36 PM
Range Rover

I did the muffler mod, 8 1/2 inch holes and spout cut out to full diameter
and it might be too noisy for your area, I would suggest 6 or 8 3/8 inch holes
If you are worried about the noise. Nyroc used 6 3/8 inch holes in his I think.
Also cutting the spout to full diameter probably makes more noise too.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-24-2003, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

Letcher, it's not loud at all. It has a way deeper tone to it. Way throatier. I ride with a guy who has a Supertrapp on his Arctic Cat. OBNOXIOUS!!!!!! That is the only word to describe the sound. The 650 sounds just plain mean with the muffler modded!

One more thing, if your 650 is an 02, you should consider changing your choke springs while you have your carbs out to rejet. The springs from a 1994 KLR 650 will fit and they will fix any wimpy choke spring problems. The part number for the KLR choke spring is 92081-1720. If you are gonna get them, make sure you order 2.

Congrats on the new toy!!!! I know you will have a blast with it. All the guys on this forum have a lot of good hop up ideas, so you won't run short of ideas to make it faster! Ride safe.

Old 02-24-2003, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

letcherky... do you ever ride in the martin co area? or any where near? There are miles and miles of ridding here in martin co and you will never see the same place twice (unless you want to) There are grate places to explore. I havent even got arround to checking out alot of roads yet. If you wanna get togeather this summer let me know.

Old 02-24-2003, 11:56 PM
Trailblazer

I drilled 6 1/2" holes but left the tip alone. Like said before, deeper but not loud enough to get the man after you

Old 02-25-2003, 06:06 PM
Range Rover

I think that's what I will do, drill six holes and leave the tip alone. A deeper sound would be fine. Hope it sounds a little like a harley.

After I get the six holes I am going to hook the muffler back up, without welding it back and test it out. If I think its still not too loud then I will do some work on the tip section.

Tommyboy, I mostly ride in Letcher county and occasionlly in southern Pike county, or Knott county. My friends and I have trouble getting on the same schedule so we don't go and often as I would like.

We have tons of trails down here too.

I want to go to the Hatfield Mccoy trial, I work in Pikeville so its not very far for me, but have not made it yet. We need to get a group ride together sometime.

Old 02-26-2003, 12:12 AM
Trailblazer

I drilled 8 3/8 holes and opened up the outlet. The sound is GREAT (street bike ish) not real loud just deeper.

Old 02-27-2003, 03:42 PM
Range Rover

I drilled 6 9/16 hole and it sounds great as far as i can tell I can't rev the motor up yet my Diaphagm slides would slide because of a vacume leak but Idleing it sounds great