Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Problems - and running the 650 with the clutch cover off

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems - and running the 650 with the clutch cover off

I see what you guy's are saying now, they are in spec just barely it looks like.BUT the fact remain's this spec that Kaw has set is still TO NARROW, and the proof is those of us having to remove ALL of the shims to get them tight enough, there is no way they can convince me that is normal, there is NO more adjustment left, no more shim's to take out, someone said maybe your sheaves are just worn down, WRONG ANSWER, they are even and smooth from bottom to top, no grooves, I have rode 80% of the time in low range, and the sheave surface may be worn 0.2-0.3mm if that, In reality the belt's should come brand new at about 32mm wide, this would give us 4mm of useable belt to work with then when it get's to 28mm, toss it and buy a new one. Here's my gripe, Kaw say's in their manual after the first break in at 60 miles or 10hrs. To then CHECK,CLEAN, AND ADJUST BELT DEFLECTION EVERY 1100 miles, NOT REPLACE EVERY 1100 miles. That mean's to me that we should not have to take the cvt cover off except every 1100 miles to tighten the belt,Go with me on this, If the belt's would wear as they do now and were about 32mm wide new, we could install them with the 1.0mm shim and run it, Lets give Kaw the benefit of the doubt and lower the 1100 miles to 900-1000 miles, at that point take the 1.0 out and install the 0.6mm shim, run 900-1000 miles, remove that shim and run with no shim another 900-1000 miles and then replace the belt. This would give us 3 belt deflection adjustment's and 2700-3000 miles worth of belt life.I DON'T THINK THIS IS TOO MUCH TO ASK OF A MACHINE WE PAY 7000 DOLLAR'S FOR. But evidently Kaw want's us to have to buy belt's 2-3 times more often than we should. See my point, does anyone agree, Sas, I think you said you were a dealer, If you agree with this statement I just made, copy it and send or show it to the district rep in your area... This could all be fixed by simply making the 650 belt's wider and thicker, By the way I was hopeing that the V-Force belt will work on the 650, plase try it on a 650 as soon as possible and let us know if it will work, Great to talk to you guy's again and let's keep it up, comminication is the way to solve problem's like this, and maybe between you dealer's and us customer's that buy their product they will realize that we are the ultimate long term test of these machine's and we know what is working and what isn't, and hopefully they will do as we ask and take care of us, so far I've been lucky, I have the extended warranty and they have always took care of the few problem's I've had, hopefully they will continue to do so, If not, I may have to find a manufacturer that will........

Old 03-05-2003, 03:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems - and running the 650 with the clutch cover off

Stakk

I've hashed this over with the kawi guys before, this is what they had to say. The reason we made the belts narrow from the factory is so the customer can't run the belt until it breaks, they narrow down past the service limit before they become a hazard. This makes people constantly run a belt that is in good condition. If you ask me this isn't very sound logic, heres why. If the belt has the service life half that of the competitors, that sets the standard for the market, people will try to get the same belt life out of thier 650 belt putting them in more danger of having a breakage. All this stems back to the belt recal issue on the 400s. A few belts broke and jammed up the cvt throwing the rider over the bars (400s were constant 4x4 so when the clutches got jammed it was like having a really freekin big front brake on). As far as I know the 700 belt will fit although only time will tell if its better or not.