Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

IRS on Prairie? 2004 maybe....

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IRS on Prairie? 2004 maybe....

You think they will come out with IRS for the Prairie next year? Seems like people that I speak to on it feel this is the weak point in the ATV compared to other utility machines. The IRS is definately a nicer rided. I love my 650 but think IRS would be a smart way to go.

Old 03-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider

Why mess with success? This thing has won multiple shootouts between the big bores so I dont see why kawi would go changing what is working. I think the solid rear puts the sport into the sport utility of it. I wouldnt trade it.

Old 03-06-2003, 02:16 PM
Pro Rider

The irs is comfortable on the long trail rides but try off cambers. If They come out with irs, I would recommend that they continue with straight axle aswell.

I agree with gtchief. "Why mess with success?"

Old 03-06-2003, 02:21 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, I know what you are saying. I guess I need more time on both to form my own opinion one way or the other. Just seems like the shootouts I have been reading have zeroed in on the lack of IRS on the Prairie. Just got off the phone with one of my friends with an Arctic Cat and he said he was in some rocks with a Prairie and they both made it through but the Prairie was a dinged up underneath and he didn't even have an scratches. I don't believe he didn't have any scratches but I do believe if you are a lighter rider the IRS gives you more ground clearance.

For example: If I have an IRS machine with 12" ground clearance that is great but when a 270 lb. person gets on it you will definately have less than 12". You may be right down to where the Prairie is.

I dunno. Have to ride them both more I guess.

Old 03-06-2003, 02:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have 27" high lifter outlaws on my bike and probably have just as much groung clearance as the grizz,the ride isnt as smooth but hey thats part of the fun.I feel the more moving parts you put under the bike the better chance of breaking something,Thats just my opinion i hope kawi doesnt change a thing[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-06-2003, 03:07 PM
Pro Rider

I'll stick with the solid axle, myself.There are a few things that you don't hear when the great IRS vs solid axle debate is going on. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

For starters, if you ride 2-up, There isn't such a difference in ground clearance.I ride with a couple polaris guys and they have about the same if not less clearance with the second person on back.I don't know how they handle that way, but when I've got my girl on the back my P650 is very stable.There have been times when I can powerslide thru corners with her on.(I don't advise trying that, though, unless your lady is a little more adventurous than mine[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img])

The other thing is all the moving parts in an IRS system.Extra bearings,seals 4 more expensive CV joints.I'm not saying that these are problem parts, but they DO wear and occasionally break.On the other hand, you could argue that solid axles can get bent.To date, I have only heard of one instance of a bent axle, and that was Alltoys running nitrous and a turbo at the same time.Definately something to be proud of, Alltoys[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Anyway, this is just my 02 cents .They all work[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-06-2003, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider

This is where Kaw and Zuki need to combine their resources. They could offer both the solid axel and IRS and still do it cheaper than the competitors. There are a ton of people on these forums who have addmitted that if the Prairie had IRS the would have bought it instead of the "other" brands. I personally don't want IRS, but it would be nice if they would offer that as an option. While they're at it they need to upgrade to the black spring and make the front struts adjustable. I hope they atleast do the last two things for the 04 models. I hate the way Kawasaki sits on it's success, then everyone eventually catches up and passes them buy with new improved designs.

Old 03-06-2003, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

All the off road truck guys want solid axles for durability and strength, Why should a quad be much different? I see advantages both ways really, but thats what I tell the Polaris guys I ride with....

Old 03-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider

Screw IRS,I just want my black to stay on. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Andy

Old 03-06-2003, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

I had IRS I prefer the solid axle, less maintance etc. There's dissadvantages to both and I would not consider the ride on IRS to be better. It depends on the terrain you ride on, your riding habits, etc... I know if kawi just switch to IRS I wouldn't buy one, I like the option idea as long as they don't make the IRS faster than the solid axle I'll be allright.

Quick Reply: IRS on Prairie? 2004 maybe....