Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Alltoys and all others! Race help needed!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 09:46 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alltoys and all others! Race help needed!!

Nyroc,
I am not convinced blocking or changing flow of the coolant to the carbs is the way to go to get performance. In the heat of racing the best thing to do is to keep the motor cool. Before 2 strokes started to install coolant they would loose almost %30 power effecieny after the motor warmed up pretty much the same with 4 strokes. The cooling factor is a major piont when considering performance inducing fresh cool air into the carbs is defineatly beneficial. I live in a cooler climate so rerouting the coolant to the carbs is not factor for me. It would be dificult to prove cooling affect on a dyno with no air movement around motor or carbs so wich is best would be hard to confirm.

ATVGurl,
I was refering to clutch engagement with the use of varied springs in the front clutch along with different clutch weights. You can gain some rpm with lighter weights this would help with with lighter tires and wheels as it takes less HP to spin lighter wheel combinations. Personaly I would go with a P360 or V700 belt, black spring from PBR, PBR front spring also, try lighter weights although heavier weights might produce the disired effect. I say this as there is middle point where weights are inversely proportional to tire size and weight. I use 50 gram weights for my 28 inch Outlaws as they are heavy then I use 59 gram weights for 25 inch ice raceing tires this puts me into roughly the same speed. Unsprung weight is a key factor for every 1 pound of weight you lose you gain 2-3 horsepower I think that is the ratio a friend told me about for off road racing. If you take a look at a Bombardier Outlander 400 you will get better perspective of unsprung weight thingy. Let me know what you come up with, what combination you go with respect to name brand of tire, tire size / weight ratio. Have fun will talk later.

Old 04-04-2003, 10:05 AM
Pro Rider

If you want a print of the xtra tank I put in mine with a parts list I can e-mail it to you it adds a little over 2 gallons. NYROC has some pics up on his site and I have some more detailed ones being developed to share as well. The only problem I see is it is manually opened with a valve in the rear but you could figure something out if thats not gonna work for you.

Old 04-04-2003, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't care about the valve.

Where does your spare tank fuel line go? Since the pump is in the tank, how do you tie your fuel line into the existing fuel system?

Old 04-04-2003, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider

The line goes into the bottom of the factory tank at the lowest flat area. This is in the front of the tank where the shield is screwed on. Between the screw and the frame on the right side is the area. The shield needed to be cut for clearance. I used a nylon bulk head fitting with a viton o-ring for fuel compatibility. It requires a 1.250 hole to be drilled into it to fit. The fitting has a 3/4 nptf hole in it. I reduced this to 1/4 npt added a 90* elbow and put a fitting that has a barbed end on it to attach a 3/8 fuel line. This runs nicely along the frame out of the way to the tank where the valve is attached to the tank. The outlet on the xtra tank is at the bottom of the right verticle side. I didn't want it on the bottom for fear of it getting ripped off.

NYROC we could always set up a time this Sat for you to come have a looky and take digital pics. Send me a message or e-mail if you want.

Old 04-04-2003, 02:33 PM
Pro Rider

Easter Egg,, if you can get another tank built I will just buy it from you if that would be possible! ATV gurl ,,,, you better tell that husband of yours to start getting shape,,, Leo is Running and working out and will be riding every Wed and hopefully one day out of the weekend! ATV gurl's husband is one of the 3 guys who will be racing my 650! Alltoys,, we have the cams allready,,,, on 2 or 3 of the straights on the track we get to run wide open as fast as the machine will go, in the harescramble we were hitting around 62 mph and that is with a slight jump in the middle.
Keep the hints and tips coming guys,,, everything we can due to improve it will help!

Old 04-04-2003, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

Prairiewrench

I made this on the side at work using THEIR material and equipment. However it is a tempting invitation I'll have to think about it and do some research and get back to you soon. It sounds like I have some time. I'm assuming you want 1/8 aluminum correct? Decisions... Decisions.....................

Old 04-04-2003, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

Prairiewrench,
If you are referring to PBR's cams I have another set of experimental cams that will produce better range of power by %6 - %9. Mike was given a set of these to try out so if you talk real nice to Mike he might let you in on it or he might plead ignorance and use them against you. Ahh the world of tweeking, mine is better than yours LOL. I would love to race with you guys.

Old 04-05-2003, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider

Alltoys, thanks for the reply.

Prairiewrench, I'll try to talk some sense into him. He works too darn much is the problem. That's cool that Leo is working hard at getting in shape.

I think the idea of a second fuel tank is awesome. The less pit stops, the better!! Doesn't that add a lot of extra weight, though? Or not enough to make a difference? Does that throw off the feel of the machine as well? These guys will be practicing with one tank for now, so if they go to two will that make for quite a different feel, or no? Excuse my ignorance. I guess I do have some investment here, and want them to do their best. I'd like him alive, mainly, and functioning like normal!

Old 04-05-2003, 02:26 AM
Pro Rider

ATVGurl,
I was ice raceing this last winter, well one race as I toasted my cdi but that is another story. Most of the guys had BaJa tanks on their quads because fuel stops took time, racing time. The top 5 all had extra fuel storage on their quads and we raced for 6 hours. With extra fuel we stopped 4 times in 6 hours where the fellows who didn't have extra fuel stopped 6-7 times in 6 hours, do the math. If you don't have fast fuel dumps on your gas tanks then the time to fuel is quadrupled. The average refuel time with plastic jerry can is from time of stopping to full fuel tank was 1 minuite 50 seconds and we spilled fuel. With the fast fuel break aways we fueled up ready to go in 30 seconds with no fuel spillage just enough time for a new rider to take over and smoke on it. You are going to have 12 hours to play with so you might get what say an hour of play time before refueling, add another 25 minuites of play time with extra fuel. Now we are talking 1 hour 25 min. - 25minuites more than your competitor far as I am concerned that is over all racing advantage!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-05-2003, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider

Alltoys, I need to get a number from you so I can get ahold of you. My email is jmjdahl@wccta.net I would be very interested in the cams, I plan to tear down the engine and freshen it up but I'm holding off as long as I can to see if we get the big bore. Do you have a quick fill cap for the gas tank or do you know where I can get my hands on one? I've also been searching for a quick dump fuel can if you have any suggestions where I can get one! If wew are gonna go up against Penlands, every second will help. Mike has many years of experiance under his belt but I've been informed that he may be racing a V Force in the 12 Hours instead of a 650. I really was hoping he would run a 650 so we could see how good we could do against a team such as his. I will be stripping off as many parts as I can from the 650 to reduce weight including the engine braking parts and so on. We ran the hour and a half hare scramble with it disconnected to see how the rider liked it. He did like it cause it let him brake where he wanted, not when the quad wanted too. I really need someone who can take the bumpers I have made on this thing out of steel and make me some out of aluminum or chromoly just like them. ((((Any takers for that project?))))) I like the way they look and perform but they are way too heavy for the race! Oh, you said something about boring the carbs, do you do that yourself? I've thought about doing that also but there is no one around here that I know of that does it. I do plan to polish the heads when I tear it down but I was also wondering if there are any larger valves available and spings? I could go on here for ever but I will stop for now.

EasterEgg,,, you make me a tank, give me a price, and when we win the 12 Hour race you will be mentioned! (thinking positive here) I will even put your name on the quad if ya like!

Quick Reply: Alltoys and all others! Race help needed!!