Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Alltoys and all others! Race help needed!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2003, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alltoys and all others! Race help needed!!

Well, I'm gonna start getting the 650 into race ready mode for the 12 Hours of America race, We have the Penland cams, it's jetted, the Big Gun exhaust, Penlands clutch kit, Progressive front spring kit, Diamond G snorkle, multiple holes in the airbox lid, No Toil air filter, OMF beadlock rims and ATR tires but we may be changing the tires back to the Maxxis All Traks, and a few other personal mods. So what I'm looking for here is any and all advice or help I can get from you guys to make this thing the meanest, fastest, 650 on the track. We are now sponcered by Diamond G racing so you know we will have the CDI and we have also discussed the 750 big bore but that kit is still in the developement stages. All your help will be greatly appreciated. The race is the last weekend in October so I have a little time yet. Thanks to all of you! Jim D

Old 04-03-2003, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider

I hope you can get the CDI by then.

Old 04-03-2003, 06:34 PM
Trailblazer

Looks - Definetly the Handle Bar clamp from penland.
If you have the 02 i would make sure to have the washer added to the pull starter - the recoil sucked before i put the washer in, you never know!

Old 04-03-2003, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with Steelhead650, but not for the looks of it - get the Penland clamp and a straighter set of handlebars. The factory bars aren't bent right for stand-up, very aggressive driving.

Old 04-03-2003, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

We already have the handle bar clamp, Mike Penland gave it to me at the last 12 Hours race. We also have Tag 2 bars and the dash mount. If you see Penlands 650, you might as well have seen mine, it is the same all the way to the lime green plastic, but we have a blue seat and no stickers yet. If you search the net for rec rider you can see it. I built it and now I own it. The whole thing will be covered with our sponcers names,,, that is if we can get enuf sponcers to cover it! I've also been looking for a wrecked 650 that I can buy for parts to have spares around so if ya know of any, please let me know! Thanks, Jim D

Old 04-03-2003, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

Wrench, I don't know if they make one or not but I would get rid of the pull starter completely and put a billet cover in it's place. I tried to start mine with that thing. Yeah-------------right. Why do they even bother puttin one on the damn thing?

Old 04-03-2003, 11:08 PM
Range Rover

Where do you put the washer at in the recoil? This is one mod that I haven't heard of.

Old 04-04-2003, 02:10 AM
Pro Rider

PrairieWrench,
Have you ported polished the heads, milled the carbs to 1.8 mm be careful some carbs you will bore right through walls. Then port and polish the carbs, go with 148/150 combo on the jets with a TPI dial jet system. With this system you can add extra boost with no side effects except power. Add an extra fuel tank to the rear end this will allow for more saddle time pit stops cost time. I beleive the Altraxs tires have to soft a side wall makes for to much dipsy doodle in the corners. Above all take as much weight off that puppy as possible. What does Penlands clutch kit consist of I would be interested in what there is or lack of. This race is going to be on the lower end of speed so you will need lots of torque. Will a 650 take an 800 in the torque department, probably not. So you will have to offset your 650 to rev out higher than the 800 at equal speed thereby giving you somewhat equal torque, clutch springs and weights will come into play to get you there. Apart from that, that is just a few things I would consider. Remember this, once you have everything in place race it against a stock machine to see where you stand. One more thing get a set of cams this alone will get another 4 quad lengths in 300 ft.

Old 04-04-2003, 03:22 AM
Pro Rider

Just wondering what you consider to be the lower end of speed? I really haven't a clue. A material portion of the track is MX and has some pretty long straight stretches. I was going 50mph (couldn't go any faster on the Rancher) in a harescramble on that track. The p650 was going faster than I. The woods portion is a little more slow-going, but there really are some speedy parts where Penland kicked **** and was blowing away all the other ute competitors. Is that still considered the lower end of speed? I know it's not like the pros on sport bikes, but I'm still wondering.

Old 04-04-2003, 08:44 AM
Pro Rider

Hardwood, the washer spaces the recoil spool away from the housing so mud doesn't stop it as easy. I used to have a tech tip on that, but my power is out at my house so you can't look there now (ice storms).

Does penland sell high pressure radiator caps? Raising the coolant pressure would surely help keep vapor down and increase cooling efficiency. Anyone have thoughts? Alltoys?

Quick Reply: Alltoys and all others! Race help needed!!