Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Installed my winch...battery is 'smokin'...help

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 12:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed my winch...battery is 'smokin'...help

I installed a new warn 3i winch this weekend. I followed all directions, except I placed the relay switch under the seat. I haven't mounted it yet. I placed the ignition wire on a wire that read 12v when the switch was on, and read 0 when the switch was off.

When I pulled 'in', everything seemed to work fine. When I pushed 'out', the engine died. The display flashed too. Then, while driving, the engine quit and the battery started hissing steam. I quickly unhooked the positive cable on the winch from the battery and the hissing stopped. I had to pull start the engine, but now, it is running fine. Any help? Am I on the wrong wire with my ignition power switch? Is my relay grounding something out? Any ideas would be appreciated.....

Thanks,

Rick

Old 04-07-2003, 01:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

I spoke with Warn just now. It seems that the fit for the winch is very tight and that the yellow cable is touching the frame and shorting out. I need to create some space between the connection and the frame. Thank goodness for customer service....lol

Rick

Old 04-07-2003, 03:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi.

Alas kawasaki and many other atv makers do have an irritating habit of not shieldging wires or space enough for addons.

We had simular problems with out headlights on our Bayou. Until we got a lenth of thick grounding wire sheath. Which is used to protect people from grounds on electrical cables. The sheathing is simular to
underground cable covering. Approx (a little less than) 1/4" thick toobing with one side with an open tang along it's lenth (where you slip the wires into).

This tubing is better as it's far more resistant to weathering, heat, corosion, and wear than the wire protection sheathing found in automobiles.

Enjoy.

Old 04-07-2003, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

I have had that happen also .... perhaps you might want to consider putting a circuit breaker/fuse
in the circuit to prevent this from happening while you are out ridding.