Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

grizzly vs. prairie

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 01:56 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grizzly vs. prairie

what is faster and stronger

Old 04-19-2003, 03:52 PM
Trailblazer

After riding both, the Grizzly is more of a sport/utility machine. If that is the type of riding you are going to do, you can't beat the Grizzly. The prarie is some sort of sport quad that happens to be four wheel drive. Not a serious off roader. I have rode both, and while the acceleration and the speed of the prarie is nice, the grizzly is a much better performer if any work is involved.

Old 04-19-2003, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider

LOL......really??? We should just ignore the fact that the Prairie has more power, out pulls, has more carrying capacity, etc. etc. etc. but you still say the grizzly is better for work? And a grizzly is a sport/utility machine and the Prairie isn't? Only time it's useful in sport is if you don't take any turns. Since a grizzly handles like a behemoth, it can't be considered much of a sport/utility quad and IRS quads aren't really all that sporty. And the Prairie not a serious offroader? In some rare situations, a grizzly can be better in certain terrains. But best watch out for that water getting in it. Look, I'm sorry you dropped that much money and still didn't come out with the best, but there's no need in ignoring reality.

Bullydog, the Prairie is faster and stronger, and that's not debatable. Realistic grizzly owners will bring out things like ground clearance, ride comfort and a few other things that they find desirable for purchasing their quads. But as far a power, speed, acceleration, versatility, etc., the Prairie has never come in second place behind a grizzly.

Old 04-19-2003, 05:04 PM
Trailblazer

Power.... questionable which quad wins.

Speed .. by far the prarie, same goes for acceleration and handling. But the prarie just doesn't fit as well for deep mud ( groud clearance) rock climbing (solid rear axle) and comfort on long rides. You are right, the prarie is a more sporty quad, and i tried to get that point across when I replied. The Grizzly is a more for work & utility. But if I only had one quad, it would be a Grizzly, better all around quad. If I could have more than one, I would include a prarie for trail riding that might have some muddy spots. All I am saying is that the prarie is more sport than utility.

Old 04-19-2003, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider

I really can't wait to meet some other quads out there on the trails and in the mud. I really think any of the 4x4 Utility machines are nice but from what I have seen so far I would never give up the power the prairie has. I am sure the 660 Grizz has power but can it really compare to the V- Twin? I can't say anything as I haven't ridden or met a Grizz yet. I do know the Praire certainly has gone places the 600 Sportsman, Honda Foreman and 400 Arctic Cat couldn't. That is from first had experience. The only thing it may be lacking in is some ground clearance but if you know how to throw your weight and ride it you will get thru just as much as a higher ground clearanced machine and then some. I do think the Grizzly is one of the best looking machines out there but it sure seems like it has alot of problems. The only thing that concerned me with the Prairie is the talk of the belt, but once again you take care of it and it will last just fine. I'm not sold on the IRS deal yet. After riding with IRS quads some you can see they are better on uneven trails for the ride but get some off camber and you get the pucker factor built up real quick. As for the strength once again I can only speak of the Prairie but I have yet to be let down. I also love the ergonomics of the Prairie, it is the most comfortable machine for me. That may be because I am 6'4" but it fits me nice.

Old 04-19-2003, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider

-The griz has no reverse override. When you get stuck, you can't get any power in reverse.
-There is also a speed limiter on the diff lock, which also sucks. The prairie has no override - you just have to be smart enuff to let go of the diff lock once you get unstuck.
-The griz clutch design needs to be greased to operate properly. This grease collects dirt and fills the clutch with huge cakes of compacted dust. I have seen them get filled with an inch of dirt mixed with grease. These dirt cakes are so well compacted that I almost thought they were a part of the 660 clutch.
-660 is a lot harder to work on.
-660 gets water in it's CVT a lot easier.
-the 660 seat and suspension are so soft that is is very difficult to use body english, so you just have to sit there and hope you don't roll.
-660 suspensio is very soft and more 660 owners roll theirs doing things that a 650 can do easily.
-the 660 shakes a lot. Vibrates.
-Logs and trees break a larger and more expensive piece on the 660 than the equivalent parts on a 650.
-Don't two with a 660, because the ball location makes it hard to get a trailer tongue into it. A guy I knew made an extension for it, but the 660 bolts couldn't hold that much force and broke.
-the 660 contaminates it's own oil due to the internal wet clutch. Abrasive particles in oil may be filtered by the filter, but oil still can splash around before being filtered. Also, the oil pump has to eat those particles.
-660's also catch and carry about twice as much trail debris.

There is only one thing I like about the 660 more than my 650, and that is the ground clearance. However I seldom have to have that much clearance and it isn't an issue.

The stock 650 belt can really stink, but adjusting it tighter and using the black spring eliminates the belt issue.

I was going to get a griz, but the dealer told me to test drive the 650. I am 100% that getting the 650 was the best choice for me.

Old 04-19-2003, 08:20 PM
Range Rover

Plumrman

You say the 650 isn't a mudder....well tell that to the guy on a grizzly and several guys on polaris' that I pulled out of mud a couple of weekends ago.......and to rub it in, I would go right through the deepest spot I could find where they got stuck with no problem!!!!!

Old 04-19-2003, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider

Mr NYRoc's is da Man [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-19-2003, 09:26 PM
Range Rover

I have rode them both as well...riding partners have as well...their is NO WAY you can claim that Griz handles or corners on trials better than that P650...regardless of the shocks...you have the center of gravity issue...you have the vibration of the griz and the hum of the prairie...you have single axle compared to IS...physics do come into play.

Griz owners in our group even states the obvious...the Griz feels tippy with any speed on trials, climbing or off camber. Its the nature of the beast...its a yamaha. The 660 is a solid power plant but the quad is narrow and top heavy...shocks will only help correct so much. Do to the design of the prairie and its torquee power plant it can outclimb, accelerate, corner and handle better then the Griz...plus the brakes, and the issues that Nyroc identify you dont disagree with, and the list goes on and on...Griz is a nice quad...nice plush ride with solid capability...but the Kaw 650 is the leader of the pack...this has become pretty common knowledge

Old 04-19-2003, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have rode both the prairie 650 and the grizzly 660 the prairie will leave the grizzzz eating dust and idk how a grizzly goes as fast as it does as top heavy as it is and it feels like you're riding a washtub

Quick Reply: grizzly vs. prairie