Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

How BIG is too big on Jetting

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2000, 08:51 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys,

I just recently went to a #138 main jet and 10 discs on my supertrapp. That sucker was running so lean it wasn't even funny. The way supertrapp talks you don't start seeing a performance gain until you have alot a discs in the system (above 8 or 10 being the minimum.) Soooo, I would like to rejet again but I don't want to waste alot of time and money. Does anyone have any ideas or just tell me (if you have rejetted) how large of a jet are you running?

Thanks in advance,

Old 04-27-2000, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jetting is not going to be a quick fix for the following reasons: Jetting is dependant on several things, climate, sea level, humidity, weight of bike, weight of driver, etc.

Not to jump subjects but the reason Supertrap is telling you it takes so many discs to see an increase in performance is due to back pressure. Usually by increasing back pressure in the motor you increase torque, horsepower is formulated from torque. Thus your perf. gain.

I would rejet slightly leaner than stock (dealer will be able to tell you what stock jetting is) then read the plugs. The plugs should be slightly soiled / dark. White plugs definetely tell you you're too lean, and black sooty plugs tell you you're too rich. Also, keep in mind, what spark plug you're running? If the bike is relatively stock, then run a normal plug (#8) if the bike is modified run a colder plug (#7) this will reduce backfire and premature detination in the cylinder.

Hope this helps, and I'm fairly sure I have the plug #'s right, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Green is Mean
'87 Mojave
'87 Tecate
'00 DS650 [Bigger IS Better]