Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

JUST HOOKED UP MY ACCELERATION MODULE..!!! HOLY %&*@#$%^&&!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JUST HOOKED UP MY ACCELERATION MODULE..!!! HOLY %&*@#$%^&&!!!

Mr350x,

With either the module or the new key we're talking a small advance in timing. The cdi will advance the timing to the point that we will need to run high test 92 octane fuel but for now regular 87 octane has been working fine. I have no detonation and the bike runs strong. My concern with the key was if it sheared and advanced the timing to a point where detonation did become a problem. Of course at some point the timing becomes so screwed up that it probably wouldn't run at all. With the module, the timing is only advanced for the first few mph, then its switches bach to normal. Therefore, when the revs are up, the bike is running on the original cdi map and detonation is not an issue.

Another thing to remember is that these bikes come from the factory with the timing severly retarded. Even with the key or the module, we're not taking the motors close to their potential. Only with the new cdi will we realize what they are capable of. Alltoys has posted here before that even with all his go fast goodies he feels a stock 650 with the new cdi could smoke him, that's impressive. I don't know if you've driven one before but when my 650 hits about 60mph it's like you flipped a switch and it stops pulling, those last few mph take forever.

I've enjoyed this, thanks for posting to this thread.

Steve

Old 04-23-2003, 09:07 PM
Trailblazer

can ya get them for the 660 grizzly

Old 04-23-2003, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

yg660,

The modules were talking about were designed specifically for the prairie 650s. I'm sure that the yamaha performance shops must have some way of advancing the timing on your machine. Maybe check the yamaha forum and search for this kind of upgrade. Hope this helps.

Old 04-23-2003, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

Scotia, yes if the factory timing is set to around 7-8* BTDC, then the module might advance it to 11-12* BTDC.
In this case, high octane might not be nessasary. If that timing key were to shatter, the timing would would be
lost altogether and the motor would certainly die.

I have never had the opportunity to ride a p650. There arnt many utilities out here where I live.
It sure it would be fun to putt around in low-4 and climb some hills and do some technical riding out in the hills though...

-Matt

Old 04-23-2003, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: grizzllyking
How much is it?????? and can i get one for my 450 kodiak????????what it the website?//
LOL Just a thought but try the NitroGas system on a 450 kodiak seen one on a 500 sportsman and it made that thing catch me on my 650.

I seen Dale's first one and that's what started this. Once I seen it I knew something wasn't right. I'm waiting for Dale's new one coming shortly[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-23-2003, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Stakk does Mike Penland have a timing key that works for the VForce 700?

Old 04-24-2003, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider

Stakk, Scotia650,
About the timing key you are using you must be careful with the keys they might split after 50 hours of use. I had 3 installed over time from last year till now with a modulator taking there place. The first key after 50 hours use started to split the only way I found this out is I had to take the motor apart for some internal hop ups. I then only found out the key started to divide I then decided to make a new one out of Chrome Moly this is harder material than the original and harder than the shaft itself. The result in less a time frame the key started to warp slightly by 0.004 not much but significant, it started to rub and cause improper timeing curve. The next remedy was to make one out of Titanium it lasted the longest around 200 hours but the invitable started to happen. The space holding the key started to wear causing the key to move with minor force due to its hardness over the OEM shaft. You may have good results but over time the key will either split or wear to a point that it will cause irrepitable damage to your machine. It is far easier to replace a module ( more expensive) than a key. The only other remedy was to replace the drive shaft with a harder material and I was thinking about that too. I had to remachine a key with slightly wider bottom with OEM material to get it back to a stage where I don't have to worry about it.

The way it stands we can't go any faster than our cdi allows so we have to play with what we have. I have put extreme loads on the motor of late so the stresses on the key have been phenominal therefore my return to the original key. Just for updates on the Super Charger I have installed a water injection system along with custom cut pistons so I can acheive 18 psi boost to the cylinders. So far horsepower ratings have reached 97hp at 5500rpm with speeds of 72mph in less than 5 seconds.

Hope this helps I would think really hard about the key I know PBR uses one and 4 Stroke Tech uses one but you must remember they are into their machines a lot more than you or anyone else!!!!!!!

Old 04-24-2003, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

Alltoys, if you want to use the titanium key, couldn't you case harden the oem shaft to take the extra stress? Case hardening only works on the exterior of the shaft so it might be enough to keep the keyslot from wearing, yet keep the inside of the shaft the same original hardness to prevent it from breaking.

Old 04-24-2003, 02:11 AM
Range Rover

so alltoys, are you running this module out of canada or are you testing a dg cdi?

think this module from canada is worth getting?

Just looking for little input from someone with your experience.

Old 04-24-2003, 02:48 AM
Range Rover

Does Penland have a website?

Nevermind, found the info. Does he by chance sell springs also? I'm finally ready to pick up a couple parts and I'd like to pay shipping once.

Quick Reply: JUST HOOKED UP MY ACCELERATION MODULE..!!! HOLY %&*@#$%^&&!!!