Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

V-Force doesn't do good in sand

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2003, 01:06 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V-Force doesn't do good in sand

I think that overall the 23's are the only way to go. Phil's Cycle & ATV in EL Reno can set you up with whatever you need. Phil & Tyla are great to deal with and really know what works. Try them at (405) 422-2887.

Old 05-02-2003, 10:31 PM
Range Rover

I cannot speak as to the consistency of the sand out west, or up north, but the fastest bansees have run the prowedges here in Louisiana for years. I cannot intelligently debate WHY they are faster, but I have had mouth fulls of sand from these tires too many times to ignore them.

I recieved today, and installed a set of ITP T9s .190 9x9 inch rims with a set of 22x11x9 4 Snows. I got them, and fantastic service from Highlifter of Louisiana. Bryan was my salesperson, and took an interest in helping find the scarce rims for the VForce because he just bought one. He had them drop shipped from his supplier and I got them in TWO days for no extra charge. I am apparently very close to MTA (you can find them on the web too). He was great, the rims and tires look great, and guess what....

They haul A$$. I ran them in some river silt (a sand and dirt mix, very fine stuff) and they are 100 times better than the Holeshots.. they lose some traction in grass, but I think the Holeshots had too much. If you have one of these bikes and have looked at the sky, while on the gas, you know what I mean.

I chose these simply because they are a proven sand tire here, and they are capable of dealing with other terrain without self destructing. I have seen quads with a paddle hanging off of skat traks because of the sand/gravel mix we often have to run in, and the dirt roads we have to travel to get to alot of the beaches here. Well, this certainly may not be the best tire for everybody, but it roars on the sand here.

Word of caution, though. They came in pressured to 35+ psi. They looked HUGE, I dont know what was the deal. Maybe they had to put that in them to set the beads and just forgot to let them back down. I set them at 5psi and the VForce feels totally stable and a smoother ride than the Holeshots. They are listed as 22" but look like 23s or better because of the rounded profile. Cool Tire. Great dealer.

4 Snow info and pic

PS!! Run them backwards!! Forgot to mention that. Run the opposite the indicated direction to make the paddles run as scoops instead of a snow/mud clearing design..
Shane.

Old 05-03-2003, 07:33 AM
Trailblazer

Badittude
I was wondering about your statement about the Maxxis 4 snow.how does it handle on the gravel and hard pack roads. I just bought my own Vforce and am looking to go to LA dunes in the near future and was looking into buying a set of Realtors for both trail riding and sand. but if the Maxxis hold up I might be interested in them instead. Any help is welcome,thank you.

Also,does anyone know if LA dunes is open during the week.My off days are Weds,Thurs and their site doesn't state if thy are open during the week. again thanks.

Old 05-03-2003, 06:06 PM
Range Rover

Eagles, I "think" Barney (the owner/operator of LA Dunes) told me they are open all week long. He lives there in one of those old RVs behind the concession stand. I would call to make sure.
I rode the 4 Snows for several hours at the property around my house. Took it easy on the blacktop, let her rip on the grass, dirt, gravel and sand, and after several hours you could still see the moulding nipples on the end of the paddles. I know they will not last as long as the Holeshots, but if I get a year out of them at 40 bucks a piece, I will be very happy. They seem a touch softer than my sand sharks, but I think as long as you stay off hard clay trails and pavement, we will see good life out of them. I plan on using them anytime there is going to be sand in the picture. If I know I will be only on the trails and in the woods, the holeshots are going back on.

Only thing that I believe we will need to pay special attention to in Miss. and La. is sticks. They look about as durable as the stock tires on a 400ex. Mine had 4 plugs in one side and 6 in the other when it was stolen.

Old 05-03-2003, 07:42 PM
Trailblazer

Badittude,
Thanks for the help, couple more questions about the Maxxis, how do they turn in the sand? and as stated before i will be riding them in LA dune, is that area with the trails it has,do they work out ? I know what you mean about the sticks, almost lost a front tire to one the first day. luckily no damage done.
Again Thanks for the help.

Old 05-04-2003, 12:41 AM
Range Rover

Ok La Dunes is 99 percent sand. A BEAUTIFUL crystal clear 6" deep creek, totally shaded to cool off in, and some awesome lakes. Big enough to haul a jetski into and have a ball. There are a few trails at La Dunes, but they are sand too.

Camp Claiborne, the closed down WWII Army camp, is about 10 miles away and is about ... 93000 acres of mixed pine forest, some old growth, some cutover.. real similar to what you would be accustomed to in Miss.

If you are planning on riding at Camp Claiborne too, bring the Holeshots on the factory rims.. the 90 miles of trails there have alot of exposed roots from heavy trail use from both atvs and dirt bikes. You would probably be fine with the 4 snows, but those trails are exactly what the holeshots were made for.

Most people that go to La Dunes wind up staying there for the weekend, not usually doing both. You know once you set a camp up, hard to leave. Besides, you will be a busy boy all weekend with the challenges from the Banshees and the Raptors. Great impromptu drag races going all weekend long, on the flats and up the hills. It is rough there at times, so be careful when running flat out. There are places where the odd idiot has cut doughnuts in the middle of an area of flat sand, and you will be cruising along, and find yourself on your back without a bike. When do you plan on going? Would love to run em over with a SET of VForces. My buddys Banshee should be out of the shop here shortly. He stripped the top of one of those damn carbs, so he was haveing the tops on both of them replaced. I am due for a trip there.. let me know. I have a DJ gig to play on the Weekend of May 17th, but I am ready to go any other time, including some weekdays.

Camp Claiborne is real nice in the middle of the summer, though, because most of your riding is shaded because of the woods.. long long long trails though, not sure if I trust the range on this thing yet.. seems to empty that tank pretty quick. We would run the kids bikes OUT sometimes before we made it back to camp.
Later, Badittude and Co.

Old 05-04-2003, 09:13 AM
Trailblazer

Hey Badittude,
I am looking at going around late May or the begining of June.I havn't set a date yet because i am helping My mom build her house but i should be freed up by then. Will let you know as things go along.

Old 05-04-2003, 12:22 PM
Range Rover

PS, the 4 Snows turn easier than the holeshots. On any terrain. Also, do some google searches for Realtor user reviews in Sand..