Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

My belt can't be shot at 600 miles, can it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 11:20 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My belt can't be shot at 600 miles, can it?

Hi,

I picked up my 03 Aztec Red Prairie 650 in September 02. Haven't done any mods until this weekend. This winter I noticed a squeal from my belt at take off. I had noticed NYROC's posts and checked out his knowledgebase and was quite amazed! NYROC makes mechanical tasks do-able for hacks like me.

Anyway, I bought a black spring as my first mod to help with belt wear and get some more umph... This weekend I dove into it armed with articles from NYROC the Great's (I owe you big NYROC) knowledgebase. I first measured the belt deflection and it was an inch and a half! So I removed both shims and installed the black spring and didn't break anything! I also measured the belt for wear and found it to be within spec at 1 3/16". I put it all back together and found the belt deflection only reduced to 1.25". Bummer... I assume I have to replace the belt. I just can't understand how I could have worn it out so soon! 600 miles and 55 hours! When I am riding around giving the kids rides, I am always in low (Learned that from my Polaris Xplorer). The only thing is maybe hitting a few mudholes in high.

Am I correct that I have to replace the belt since I have both shims removed? I am sure I am measuring the deflection correctly...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 05-05-2003, 01:29 AM
Pro Rider

I guess it depends on how long you ran it with it loose.

You have to make sure the belt is at the top of the driven clutch before measuring the deflection; meaning give it a few spins first.

Now that it is back together, does it squawk anymore? If not, pick up a spare belt and run it till it squawks again; then replace and reshim it.

If it still squawks, you know what to do.

Old 05-05-2003, 05:27 AM
Trailblazer

I put the black spring in when I had about 5 hours on the machine.Before I changed the spring I checked the belt and it seemed loose (about an inch and a fourth)but it has never made any squealing sounds. Changed the spring (should have used Nyroc's spring comp.)and took out the thinnest shim,checked the belt again and it seems even looser than before, but still no noise( I may not have spun it to get it up on the secondary pulley)but it engages a little sooner. This all had me worried for a while but everything I've read suggest if there was a problem it would probably make noise.?? Any ideas????

Old 05-05-2003, 08:00 AM
Pro Rider

java,

If the two shims that you removed were 0.6mm (smallest), then taking them both out should have lowered deflection by around 15.6mm or 0.61". That would be double what you got for a reading. Did you spin the rear clutch enough to drive the belt up as far as it would go.

Old 05-05-2003, 08:29 AM
Pro Rider

Good point Scotia650.
Also, as long as it is BACK together, start it, see if it "yelps" (still) on takeoff. Also make sure it doesn't squeal at idle in gear( belt too tight). If neither of these conditions exist, go have fun. Plan on replacing the belt the next time it starts "yelping". THERE, that is my not-so-scientific approach, to belt maintenance. It has worked for me, for almost 3K miles now.

Old 05-05-2003, 11:51 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the responses!

I will open it back up tonight and spin it three or four times to make sure and measure again. I believe I did spin it but maybe not enough. I can't remember. I let you know!

Old 05-06-2003, 03:06 AM
Range Rover

trx450,

why does it really matter if it yelps while idling in gear? as long as you dont leave it in gear it shouldnt hurt anything right? thats the way i understood it from Nyrocs page. anyway, with mine it doesnt matter because after i replaced my belt it quit yelping on takeoff for about a week, then it started it again. so i took it all apart and mine of course only came with ONE shim, so i removed it and now it yelps while idling in gear. i just hurry up and pop it into neutral. sound ok? thats really the only option that i had.

Old 05-06-2003, 08:13 AM
Pro Rider

rammy---- Let's get our terminology straight here. I describe the belt sounds as: Yelp, on takeoff. You know, stab the throttle in High range, and it "yelps" on take off. The other noise is a constant squeal, when idling in ANY gear. Put it in neutral, the squeal quits. This is indicative of a TOO TIGHT belt.
There have been many discussions here, whether, or not the too tight belt causes any wear, or damage to the rest of the clutch system. IN MY OPINION, yes, too tight a belt is hard on bearings/the helix portion of the driven clutch, and the belt itself. Others disagree. We all have our opinions and views on here. That is all I am trying to get acrossed, here.

Old 05-10-2003, 05:39 PM
Trailblazer

Just thought I would update you guys on my progress. I initially said my belt deflection measured 1.5" before removing any shims. After removing both (I don't know the sizes) the deflection was 1.25". It was suggested that I probably didn't spin the pulley enough or at all. I finally did that today and remeasured and the deflection is 7/8" or .875". If I follow NYROC's equation where .1mm of shim =.004" and both my shims were .6mm, I would have removed almost 1/2" of deflection. So my numbers are still off but I measured the belt twice and it doesn't squawk, squeal, or complain. I am going with it. Next month 7 of us are off to the Black Hills in South Dakota for a week near Deadwood. Hope all is well cause problems out there will suck. I will get in about 100 miles before then. Thanks for all the info!

Old 05-10-2003, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

That sounds much better. I don't think you'll have any more problems with the belt for a while. Enjoy the trip.