Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Alltoys and everyone else: what does a leak down failure mean?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 01:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alltoys and everyone else: what does a leak down failure mean?

I heard today that my 650 had a 98% on this test. Kawi says this is impossible? comments.... BTW I know what a leak down test is but what I don't get is I can still start the thing if I really wanted too and with that kind of result it should have been making some racket etc. and the last time I drove it I smoked a vinson which I don't understand.

Old 05-09-2003, 01:38 AM
Pro Rider

Kawi650,
Is this a %98 failure as in 98 percent of pressure leaked out or only %02 leaked out. %02 sounds good to me ask them how long they put the test on for like 1hour, 2hours, 24 hours need more information. Most all engines will leak on a compression test left over time if they didn't there wouldn't be any oil on the cylinders. Ask them to be more explicit.

Old 05-09-2003, 01:46 AM
Pro Rider

Alltoys What I meant was the results said it's it the other way around 98% leaked out only 2% left... I believe they said it was on the first reading too so it sounds like too me within the first couple seconds to a minute? and it was done at different stroke positions.

Old 05-09-2003, 02:11 AM
Pro Rider

somebody correct me if i`m wrong, but a leakdown test is done on the compression stroke. so there would be no accurate reading due to valve opening in different part of the stroke....

just a thought... and it hurt....

Old 05-09-2003, 02:34 AM
Pro Rider

Kawi650,
If you are developing desirable compression LIke Scootdog says the pressure is built up then of course it is going to deflate there is no motor out there that wont. So long as you are in the parameters set by the manufacuer then don't worry. There is 2 tests for compression one is a dry test where the motor is turned over creating pressure. The second is the same as the first except they squirt in oil to see if the compression changes from a dry test. If there is a variance of %15 or more then there is a problem. I think the pressure is in the 45-80 psi range if memory is working tonight. If you are in that range on both sides and are relatively the same within %15 don't sweat it.

The only way to test the valves properly is to take off the head and test the valves with penetrant fluid. I thought this is what you were initially talking about. What is the mane problem with your baby?

Old 05-09-2003, 02:50 AM
Pro Rider

The main problem is it take about an hour and 15 minutes to start and it does a lot of complaining when it first start and then it goes like a scared cat. Kawi is saying normal wear at this time (at 15000km) and we need to pull the engine appart. It's also going thru oil. I'm wondering if this is premature wear?

Old 05-09-2003, 03:05 AM
Pro Rider

thats a long starting process, is it burning alot of oil?

Old 05-09-2003, 03:12 AM
Pro Rider

I guess those hondas that I travel with can get a good head start but I'm there waiting for them at the halfway point. LOL It goes thur about 600ml every 300 km but it's not leaking it and it's not burning that much that is noticeable, you can smell it a little when you slow down fast but I always could, and if it's idleing it's not burning blue?

Old 05-09-2003, 03:14 AM
Pro Rider

Kawi650,
Is it passing the oil out the exhaust does your hand get oily when you put your hand on the exhaust? Did they do a wet test, you can do this yourself also. Is there an air leak around the intake spray penetrating fluid by the rubber intake manifold. If it starts easier then you will know there is a leak. Use WD-40 as it is %60 kerosene, spray it as you are turning the motor over. Do little steps one thing at a time.

Old 05-09-2003, 03:20 AM
Pro Rider

It looks like it might be passing oil but when it's idleing it's not. I'm not clear on which if both tests they did on compression I know they been focusing on the running leak down tests. I'll find out on Saturday when I go visit my bike at the doctors.

Quick Reply: Alltoys and everyone else: what does a leak down failure mean?