Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

650 PRARIE PROBLEMS

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 12:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 650 PRARIE PROBLEMS

Bought my prarie new about a year and a half ago and for the last six months i have been neglecting it due to the receant purhchase of a kfx 400. After letting buddy's and my better half use it when we went ridding i was unable to get any feedback from the machine until i took it out for a ride myself. Here is a list of problems.

4x4 dosent always seem to engage even though indicator says so i have found it to be in 4x4 when saying 2wd and vise versa sometimes. Also when in 4x4 sometimes when put under load it will make some terrible clanking noise as if it is not fully engagesd and hopping in and out of 4x4.

The key switch also is hanging up i have to giggle it some time for it to power up.

The silinoid on the belt cover has been making a terrible noise when activating more of a growl then a buzz buzz.

Any help to this sitiuation would be a great help.

Old 05-13-2003, 08:52 AM
Pro Rider

Check this to see if it helps,

For your "clanking" noise it sounds like you need to adjust your shift linkage. Sometimes they need minor adjustment to get everything to engage just right. This is adjusted by changing the length of the shaft to the shift lever under the plastic on the right side of the air breather.

For your key switch, trace back from the switch and look for loose connections or chafted wires.

Pull your belt cover, check to make sure everything is tight and adjust your belt deflection.

Let me know how you make out and we'll continue from there.

Old 05-13-2003, 09:20 AM
Pro Rider

I have a "funky" ignition switch, as does "nyroc"(I bleive). You have to make sure to turn it fully, and deliberately to the "RUN" position, or sometimes it won't power up everything. I lubed mine with lock lube, it is OK, for now.

Old 05-13-2003, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider

Theses are keys issues. I'm also thinking your belt should be adjusted. It wouldn't hurt to lub up the diff switch

Old 05-13-2003, 08:00 PM
Trailblazer

Well , like i said i have had this machine for almost 2 years and i am familuar with the common problems like shift linkage and its not a problem my belt is also not a problem. thank you for the guesses but maybe i should re word it.

The keyswitch when pushed in all the way it turns back off i have to giggle it to get it to be on.My guess is its the switch is bad or could even be dirty i was just hoping someone has been there done that before i take it apart.

The 4wd indicator comes on when switched but does not have 4x4 after some accelerating and decelerating it will engage with a loud clank once in their when selecting 2wd the indicator switches and even sounds as if it dissengages but dosent but eventually will comre back out .SoOO i have narrowed it down to it a mechanical / electical problem that is having a hard time diisengaging a re engaging 4x4 mode.

I have a shop manual and have glanced over it.Alo have a warranty but to far and the down time stinks.So maybee there is smoe answers here.??????? NYROC??????? anyone ??????????

Old 05-14-2003, 09:54 PM
Trailblazer

When you are shifting from 2wd to 4wd, are you at 12 mph or below? Any higher and the 4wd shifter is locked out. (I know you said the 4wd light will come on and that should not work if you are above 12mph) Also I have noticed that the 4wd selection does not work smoothly if under any sort of load. Are you shifting when going very slowly and under little load?

Old 05-15-2003, 09:27 PM
Trailblazer

yes i am fimiluar with that. This is happening in any mph reverse or standing still .any help anyone ???????????????????

Old 05-16-2003, 10:04 AM
Pro Rider

I wonder if it may be a problem with the 2wd/4wd actuator. You stated that you had a manual. Go to section 16-65 and follow the instructions there to trace a possible problem with this. Also, the speed sensor sends a signal to the actuator to determine wheel speed for 4wd engagement. There have been a few problems with this posted here in the last few months. If the sensor is sending intermitant signals to the actuator then that might be why your problem seems to be at random intervals.

Old 05-17-2003, 01:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Some 650 trannies were assembled wrong and low range fails. We broke 3 trannies on different machines in a month.

Old 05-17-2003, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider

Some 650 trannies were assembled wrong and low range fails. We broke 3 trannies on different machines in a month.
Was this the c-clip that wasn't fully in its place on the gear shaft? It fell out and let the gears slide up the shaft. My dealer had one of those on the second Prairie he brought in.

Quick Reply: 650 PRARIE PROBLEMS