Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

400EX, Is it really much slower then a KFX400?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 01:25 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400EX, Is it really much slower then a KFX400?

let me know what you think.

Old 05-12-2003, 02:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

well, i can tell u this much. I haven't been riding 4-wheelers my whole life, and I'm not a brand, or model loyal person. For about the last 2 1/2 years, i was all about Sportbikes. I had alot of friends who had 400ex, raptor, 300ex, warrior,banchee, etc. I rode them all alot. well when i decided to trade in my sportbike(R6) for a 4-wheeler, i couldn't decide what to get either. I knew i liked the 400ex, it's a good bike. I loved the way the raptor looked, and i thought it had alot of power too. When i went to the dealership to trade in, i saw the KFX400. I decided i either wanted a Raptor, or KFX. After a whole week of thinking, i decided to go with the KFX. I figured the raptor was the fastest, but oh well. I didn't want a 400ex b/c I have atleast 6 friends with one, and i just wanted something different. I've had the KFX for probally month 1/2, and i love it. I had been riding the KFX for about a month when my friend with a 2003 raptor, and a 2001 400ex, came over, and Finally i got to really ride one and compare. Here is what i found compared to the KFX.

400ex
-Handles great!!
-Little short on Power
-No reverse

Raptor
-Not worth $1000 more bucks
-almost the same power fell as the KFX, pulls a little more on top end.
-if u like the way a 400ex handles, don't get a raptor.
-Hard to wheelie
-weaker brakes(quoted from the raptor owner after riding the KFX)

I'm not tryin to Bash the raptor at all. I was just a little dissapointed when i rode it. it's still my second favorite bike. I know another guy with a raptor and he loves it, so to each his own.

My conclusion.
The KFX400 Compared the the 400ex isn't that much different. the KFX400 can be described as a 400ex with more power, reverse, and good suspension. I suggest u get a suzuki/kawasaki, because everyone i ride with, raptors, 400ex, etc. likes my bike alot. but if u are really stuck on getting a HONDA, wait about a year, and see if they come out with a new bike or get a used 400ex and hop it up.

Old 05-12-2003, 04:52 PM
Trailblazer

The only person I will race will be my brother on a Honda 500 Rubicon and my one friend is getting a 250EX.

With that as my competition and a 400EX from the local dealer being $460 Canadian less ten a KFX400 (95% of the cost of a KFX400) I could get a slip on race pipe, filter and jet kit with the money saved.

It would be the best bet.

Long as its faster and sportier then a 500 Rubicon. I will be happy.

Old 05-16-2003, 11:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a KFX 400 and i raced a 400ex both quads stock and the 400ex rider was about 5-10 lbs heavier than me. i pulled on him hard and beat him like he was standing still.

Old 05-16-2003, 09:51 PM
Trailblazer

It took me about a month to decided on which quad I wanted. I loved the 400ex, rappys,z-400, and I really love two strokes so I had to throw a new Banshee in there. I don't think you can go wrong with buying any of them. All have their goods and bads. I'm not going to go over all the goods and bads, most of you have heard them a 1,000 times.

The kfx isn't much faster than a 400 ex. I've heard so many B.S. stories about the kfx 400 killing the 400ex and even Rappys! The kfx beats the 400 ex by a couple bikes, and the rappy beats the kfx by a couple bikes. Add some mods to the 400ex and its going to rip the kfx and maybe a Rappy to. Never the less, all are good quads. I would be proud to have any of them in my shop!

Old 05-16-2003, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm the expert here [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

My friend has a well worn 99' 400ex and a new kfx-400.

I weigh 190, he weighs 165. I rode the Honda and he rode the green one. We raced from a dead stop. They are neck and neck untill the Honda runs out of gear then the Kawzuki slowly pulls away on top end.

We traded bikes and the Honda with a lighter rider pulled me by about 2 ft every time we shifted. Untill he ran out of gear and I slowly caught him.

The bikes are VERY close in power and performance. Both of us feel that the Honda handles better.

Old 05-16-2003, 11:55 PM
Range Rover

From the testing and riding i have seen and done the KFX 400 handles the EX pretty easily in short or long runs. The hype of the Z before it come out really heightened expectations and when it wasnt spanking raptors and only beating the EX by 2-3 quad lenghts in short drags people thought it was grossly under powered compared to what it was supposed to be...Pipe the KFX/Z 400 and it wakes right up...more so then when you do similiar mods to the EX.

Both quads are great handlers ... i honestly believe you would be hard pressed to find that a piped EX will consistantly beat a raptor in a drag...track maybe pending rider. Not saying it didnt happen as you possibly have jetting issues, bikes not running at peak, etc... But the higher in the power band you go the farther ahead the Z will pull over the EX...the Raptor, once it hits fourth...will smoke them both on a flat hard packed surface...

The Z responds better to modding with higher power increases (check out pipe dynos), has reverse, and if you ride in desert or hot areas then that liquid cooled engine will thrash that air cooled engine the longer you out there. Both are great handlers and its more of a familiariarity issue...the more familiar you become with one over the other the more you like it (common sense)...plus right now if you decide to sell it or trade it in on something the Z's have a much stronger resale at this point. My two cents and view on the matter. Get the one that fits what you want and you gain afford...no matter which one you get you will enjoy it

Old 05-17-2003, 04:06 AM
Range Rover

I just got my kfx400 today. Its the bestest!(Not a word) i did a wheelee all the way down my street [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-18-2003, 08:48 PM
Trailblazer

KFXjunkie......I don't understand when you say the Raptor is hard to wheelie.......Mine will wheelie at the blink of the throttle in first , in second and third it requires very little effort other than a good dose of juice. Just wondering. J. Prentice

Old 05-19-2003, 09:17 PM
Range Rover

Hehe Juice [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 400EX, Is it really much slower then a KFX400?