Kids Quads & Other ATV's - Ask an Expert! An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Chinese made ATV. mywifesquad, LT80, LynnEdwards and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.

2005 Eton viper 70 blowing fuse

Old 03-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Eton viper 70 blowing fuse

Eton viper 70 keep blowing the fuse (7A) right on top of the battery..I replace it and it runs fine till i shut it off again with either the key or red button on the handle bar. The kill switch or tether does not seem to work and my oil light is on when there is plenty of oil in it!! But as soon as I shut it off the fuse blowes! Any ideas before I start tearing it apart first!!
Thanks!!

Old 03-22-2011, 11:46 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think you have multiple problems.

Looking at the published wiring wiring diagram for the Eton Viper 70 (on the www.anythingatv.com website) I don't see how the quad could work at all unless the kill switch and tether switch are in their "run" position. They have to pass a ground connection through both of them (and the ignition switch) to the CDI in order to get spark (and for the quad to run). If the kill switch and tether are wired in as the are supposed to be then they must be able to kill the engine if either switch is opened up into the "kill" position.

So has your wiring harness been hacked?

What is the history of this quad? Have you always had this quad, or is this a new acquisition received in a fuse eating mode?

The ignition switch has power (through the fuse) and ground on the same assembly. That would be the first thing I would suspect if the fuse only blows when you are turning the ignition switch. But you say that the fuse also blows when you push the "red button on the handle bar".

What is that red button? Do you know? All I have is the wirng diagram. It identifies switches with their function such as "Horn", "Lights", "Starter", etc. The diagram doesn't tell me which switch is red.

The oil sender has three wires: Ground, Power and Oil Light. Check the ground connection. I suspect if it is open the sender will light up the oil light regardless of the oil level. Else the sender is probably bad.