Kids Quads & Other ATV's - Ask an Expert! An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Chinese made ATV. mywifesquad, LT80, LynnEdwards and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.

arctic cat 90 blowing cdi box

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 09:20 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Approximate run time was again in the twelve to fourteen hour range.

The melted spot was in the same place as before.

On the original I assumed it was a capacitor that exploded as it blew a hole out the bottom with a loud pop and left brown fuzzy residue on the rear axle

there is no proprietary cdi box for Arctic cat that I'm aware of, I was nervous to spend big money on an OEM cdi ($120) vs buying an aftermarket on Ebay ($25). I'm suspicious of the orange cdi being from the same supplier even though I used different vendors.

I've decided to bite the bullet and buy an OEM cdi in hopes that it will have better results as as all of the voltage readings appear normal. Thanks for your input Lynn.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:29 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by brickla99
Approximate run time was again in the twelve to fourteen hour range.

The melted spot was in the same place as before.

On the original I assumed it was a capacitor that exploded as it blew a hole out the bottom with a loud pop and left brown fuzzy residue on the rear axle

there is no proprietary cdi box for Arctic cat that I'm aware of, I was nervous to spend big money on an OEM cdi ($120) vs buying an aftermarket on Ebay ($25). I'm suspicious of the orange cdi being from the same supplier even though I used different vendors.

I've decided to bite the bullet and buy an OEM cdi in hopes that it will have better results as as all of the voltage readings appear normal. Thanks for your input Lynn.
Let us know how it goes...

Old 04-04-2017, 08:07 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi brickla99.
I have the same quad with the same problem. Did you ever figure this problem out? My sources are saying there is a short in the wiring hardness somewhere or it is not being grounded properly which makes some since. It ran fine for many hours before this started happening. Hoping that you and LynnEdwards are still out there!