Kids Quads & Other ATV's - Ask an Expert! An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Chinese made ATV. mywifesquad, LT80, LynnEdwards and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.

chinese quad

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 08:57 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chinese quad

Hi i got a chinese quad for my son. its a 110cc 3spd with revese. its stuck in reverse, i took it the tranny apart and noticed that none of the reverse gears,main shaft or counter shaft gears free spin. my question is which one is supposed to free spin?

Old 05-20-2012, 07:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 50cc terminator will start when pushed and not by button changed the start button , relay, regulator, starter, magneto , cdi, and spark plug. Now the starter turns and occasionally get a real low putt putt then no noise. We also cleaned the carb. Help?

Old 05-21-2012, 12:23 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nancy DeJesus
I have a 50cc terminator will start when pushed and not by button changed the start button , relay, regulator, starter, magneto , cdi, and spark plug. Now the starter turns and occasionally get a real low putt putt then no noise. We also cleaned the carb. Help?
When you say it didn't start with the starter button does that mean the starter didn't turn at all, ot that it turned but the engine wouldn't start. When you push started the quad did it start right away, or did you have to push it around the block before it started?

Then you said "now the starter turns". What's different between before and now?

Old 05-21-2012, 04:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

when pushing the atv it start fairly quick by second time pushed . After changing the starter it does now turn just don't start by the button yet

Old 05-22-2012, 01:12 AM
Electrical Expert

Does the starter turn at normal speed? Or is it turning slowly?

Do you have spark? Do you know how to test for this?

What is the history of this quad? Has this quad ever worked fine in your presence? If so was it a sudden failure or did it progress slowly over time. Or is this a recent acquisition/fixer upper?

Once the quad is started up and runs for a while, if you shut it off will it start back up with the starter motor?

Old 05-22-2012, 07:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

my sister bought brand new in 2003-04 year ran fine and then they couldn't get started. They took off the battery and started push starting every since. Then my grandson likes to ride it and pushing is getting to our backs so I bought off my sister the atv and my husband and I working on it to see if we can get it running by key.
When we changed the starter it was due to it didn't turn now spins good. The spark plug has a spark . When pushing it starts fine and after about 2 minutes shut if off it will start back up. But let it cool down 15-20 minutes won't staart by start button but will when pushed.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:11 AM
Electrical Expert

It is easy to spin the engine faster when push starting the quad. If you have a marginal engine (low compression for example) it will be easier to start at a faster engine RPM.

What kind of choke do you have? Is it an automatic choke (i.e. Bystarter valve), or do you have a manual choke?

Have you adjusted the valves? This is a routine maintenance requirement. Valves tighten with wear, and they also are tighter when cold. Thus engines that are hard to start when cold, but then start right back up when warm often points to valve adjustment issues.