Kids Quads & Other ATV's - Ask an Expert! An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Chinese made ATV. mywifesquad, LT80, LynnEdwards and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.

06 Eton Viper 90R two stroke problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Eton Viper 90R two stroke problems

I'm not sure what I need to do, but for some reason my Eton will kill a battery dead to a point that I will have to disconnect the battery when not using it. If I leave it connected to the battery I will need jumper cables to fire it off (I don't have a kick stater). I'm not sure if this plays into the problem, but I have a hard time getting it started and sometimes its idling just fine then all of a sudden the RPM's will jump so high that I have to place the swith in F or R to kill it. I have to idea why it does that and my son cant ride it because of this. If anyone can help me that would be great! Thanks in advance.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:17 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I'd start at the battery and have it load tested as it could part of the problem if it has a dead cell and can't hold a charge.When running it should be charging between 13-14 volts or so back to the battery. If it isn't could be a faulty regulator/rectifier.If you eliminate the battery or charging as a problem,could be a drain on the battery from a wiring short.Put a volt meter on the battery while it's hooked up and see if the voltage starts dropping. Again this can be from a shorted out cell in the battery also not being able to hold a charge.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the reply. Something is draining the battery since I had to purchase another battery and it didn't take long before this battery is in the same condition as the last.
I will test what you told me to and report back. Do you have any idea why the RPM's would all of a sudden race that way that it does?

Old 09-22-2014, 03:03 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Just from the nature of 2 strokes if they run wild it's usually because of running lean because of carb jetting or any type of air leak such as from an intake manifold, head or base gasket leak, or crank seals that could be sucking air causing them to run lean.Plus don't overlook simple things like a carb slide sticking.