Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Alpha-Sport Mini-Kolt 50

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 12:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alphs Sport Mini-Kolt 50

Hello all;
Brand-new to the board...Have a 96 Honda 300 4x4 used for duck hunting...Looking for info anyone can provide on mini wheeler for my soon-to-be six yr old daughter...listening to all the salesman's pitches in the S'port area and still confused...Quad will be used for entry-level, very limited trail riding, and definitely like the idea of AlphaSport's remote kill switch...Their price of $1299 seems reasonable, but don't want to buy something that will turn out to be a hunk of junk...Thought maybe she could use that for a few years until my next child (in the oven) would be ready to get on it and then my soon-to-be six yr old would be ready for a 90...Read all the other posts, but not much mention of the Alpha-Sports...Seem to have a decent product w/six month warranty and extention available...Started my search on ebay, but already, with all the help provided by this forum, decided against the meerkat and all the other Asian quads...Last post I read was on the Bombardier...But still leaning to AlphaSport because of the remote cutout...Safety is paramount and until she's 12, I think 15 mph is fast enough for a child...Not a racer or never will be one...Thanks in advance for any help...DP

Old 05-26-2003, 08:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Alpha-Sport Mini-Kolt 50

I totally understand the safety issue(remote kill, small size)... but the mini-kolt may end up being a bit small real soon. My biggest complaint about my 5 1/2 yo daughter's Polaris Scrambler 50 is the small tires... with the track width and the little tires, she gets caught up in ruts quite a bit when its muddy and high centers. The mini-kolt has 14.5 and 15 inch tires.. our 16's just don't always cut it... I get really tired on a day of riding that is mostly pushing her off of the high centers.

For the quality, I can't say.

Bryce

Old 05-26-2003, 08:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply...Yeah, I guess tire size is an important factor...Was also looking at the Kasea...On this other forum, it just gets rave reviews, although not sure if there's a few people with vested interests posting a whole lot of hype...Wanna make an informed decision, and get something that we'll be happy with a few years down the trail...Thanks again...DP

Old 05-27-2003, 08:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

The "Other" forum I mentioned in the abouve post is www.offroad.com...It's kinda' the same as this site; with a section designated to ATV's and further broken down to sites like this kids quad site here...I thought I'd post this in case any wanted to visit another site (although this site is great)...Still trying to drum-up responses from the more experienced people on this board about what they think about the choices for a mini quad for my daughter...Thanks...DP

Old 05-28-2003, 12:11 AM
Trailblazer

Eton Viper 50cc

Peace
Willfulone

Old 05-28-2003, 10:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

In reply to Wilfulone's very succinct post...Why???

Old 05-29-2003, 11:15 PM
Trailblazer

DaveinLouisiana

Last fall I got a E-ton Viper 50cc for my 6 year old. I did a lot of research before I decided on the E-Ton.
Really it came down to the fully independent front and rear suspension. I also liked the rear Hydra-Disc® disc brake and dual front drum brakes. The transmission is a fully automatic belt driven CVT. It also has rear tail/brake light and the pulsating front red LED, that is good for beggining riders. (it helps them be seen by other riders.) As well, it has a number of safety features like a training teather, and throttle limiter so the little ones don't go off half-cocked. It also sits a little lower so the tip over factor is lessened, however it has one of the best ground clearance in its class. I originally was looking at the 40cc, but decided on the 50cc because it has a slightly larger frame, hence room to grow into it. This was a wise move, as my 6 yo grew 3 inches from nov to may. It's actually the perfect size for him.
Drives me nuts, but he like the horn... As well, I think it's one of the better looking mini's out there... Best of all, it cranks right over, first try, every time.

I looked at all the name brand units as well, and I just could not see spending $1,000 more, for what amounted to less bike in most cases.

Really only two minor issues. 1) the brake levers are a little bit of a reach for the small hands of a 6 yo.
2) IMP the throttle limiter screw doen't limit it enough for very beggining riders.

Both were fixed very easily. I ordered another pair of brake levers from E-Ton ($27), put them up for later, and took off the ones on the bike, took them to the vice and put about a 15 deg. bend in them, now the reach is perfect kid size for a powerful grip. The throttle screw I replaced with a longer one from Lowes. We only had it in for about 5 rides, and we were back to the stock screw.

Here is the link to their site.

http://www.etonamerica.com/ATV-RXL.htm

If you want, I'll send you some pictures of the little guy in action on his bike

Peace
Willfulone

Old 05-30-2003, 12:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Willfulone;
Thank you very much for your very informative reply...On the "other" mini-quad forum, they're just "Ga-Ga" over the Kasea...This Eton, I will research!!!...Hopefully, they'll be a local dealer to take a hands-on look at one...I just wish I could find someone who owns an Alpha to get their no BS assessment of the bike...One way or the other, it feels much better going in knowing all that I've learned from this board...And the "other" one as well...Thanks again...DP

Old 05-30-2003, 08:42 PM
Trailblazer

No problem, I sent you a private message (top left hand corner of the screen) with my email address if you want to see some pictures of the bike in action.

Good luck in your search and remember, they can't have to much protective gear.

Peace
Willfulone

Old 06-02-2003, 12:19 PM
Trailblazer

Dave,
I bought an alpha colt 50 in march for me 4yrs old. so far. so good. we pain 1450 out the door for it. my daughter loves it and it has been trouble free. I looked at just about everything and bought it for the price, the look, and mostly for the remote cut off. I got two more little ones that will be following behind so the size was a no brainer, I know we will get our use out of it. for what it is worth the dealer which also sold other brands said that have no major or recurrent problems with the alpha. good luck, if you have any other questions let me know. also nice to see a fellow duck hunter on the board! I have an 02 rancher for that.