Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

lt80 tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt80 tires

Boy that seemed like a long time ago!! Long enough that I added 1 more to my name!! (and lost an "t")
I did let him get some new rear tires shortly after that. We started with 18x6.5x8 Holeshots and was promised that they were 18" tall. LIE!!! They barely measure 16" with 15lbs of air!! I then let him spend his birthday money on a set of 18x9.5x8 Shreeders on blue lable wheels. And bought a set of 19x7x8 fast treckers on blue labels for the front. The shredders do a very good job for our trail riding and light racing. They do not hook up as much as I feared, and my son can throw roost easy. The fronts are not quite as good as I would have hoped. They are quite heavy, and I believe are alot harder to get going than the stockers. BUT, This thing corners SOOOO much better!! Before, the tires seemed to roll over themselfs in corners. Now it will carve through corners with the best of them even without any wheel spacers!!
Just thought since it was pulled up from the depths that I would update on what we had done.

Old 12-17-2004, 09:12 PM
Trailblazer
Default lt80 tires

Got four of the nankangs and had them mounted up. Looks sweet. The fronts that came on it were a little big at 19" compared to the 16's. One more question though. What's the best tire pressure to run them at. Thanks!

Old 01-25-2005, 01:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default lt80 tires

Where did you get the Nankangs?
What type of wheel did you use on the rear? Are they offset at all?
I'm also looking at the Turf Tamers.

My daughter is starting to race and I'm just beginning to figure out what I need to do?

LT80, if you see this, I"m just confirming that you suggest using the stock LT80 tires on the front with the 16x16.5x8 Nankangs on the rear????

I'm doing lots of reading and searching, and may have to post a question or two.
My daughter is 10, and just starting out racing her LT80, which is completely stock right now. Not looking at spending top dollar yet, but some minor improvements to help her hang with the boys (which she desperately wants to do [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img], well, ok, she doesn't want to hang with 'em, she wants to beat 'em. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img])

Old 01-25-2005, 03:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default lt80 tires

You are correct on the tire sizes. BTW the Nankank style is N700. I've got them at a Parts Unlimited dealer. 25-30 each..cheap.
Turf Tamers are just too wide. Wide means turning resistance. Turning resistance means case breakage.
I used the stock wheel or ordered from Douglas Wheel.
Good luck to the lil gal. I'll be rootin for her! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-25-2005, 03:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default lt80 tires

Great, thanks a bunch for the info. I think I'm just beginning.

I'm starting the search now [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I'll order the Nankangs for the REAR (I need new wheels, so I should go with same as stock, same offset????).
I'll Use the stock tires on the FRONT.
I'll see how that works for her and go from there.

I'll figure out how wide I need to go in both the front and rear,
and what other minor mods I need to go with.

I may post a thread with what I'm thinking about doing, and see what kind of input I get.
This is a great place for ideas.
I've done so much reading/searching on here past six months it all kind of blends together[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 01-27-2005, 02:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default lt80 tires

New to the Form. There is a lot of good info here. My 8 yr. old daughter has a 01 LT80, its due for new rear tires. We ride mostly at Ocotillo Wells. Are the 16x16.5x8 Nankangs a good desert tire too or should I go with a different tire and size? What do you all recomend for desert ridding?

Old 01-27-2005, 03:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Default lt80 tires

I wouldn't recommend the 16" nankang for the desert. I think they make a 18" tire.
For the desert/dunes wouldn't you want to go to the 5 paddle design that I saw on LT80s when I was at Glamis?

Welcome to the forums. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-27-2005, 03:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default lt80 tires

Thank you for your reply LT80. For Glamis we run the paddles, but right now I'm shopping a good medium to hard packed tire. I thought that 16" might be too small for rock clearance. I will look for some Nankangs 18" tires.

Old 01-27-2005, 11:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default lt80 tires

lt80 what do you mean by rolling resistance? Is that when turning or running straight? Sorry if this is a stupid question I was not sure

Old 01-28-2005, 01:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Default lt80 tires

Turning resistance...
I will admit that this may only cause 30% of the case breakage (it's usually landing on one rear wheel), but I feel it's not wotrth the risk.

Quick Reply: lt80 tires