Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Breeze 125 vs. Predator 90

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breeze 125 vs. Predator 90

OK, this is going to sound silly, but, when you refer to the "bounce" is that a safety issue or just a comfort issue? I'm still torn between the two because I know the Breeze will last her for a longer time and has more features, but I think that she fits better on the Predator. The plus sides on the Breeze are reverse and a headlight, the Predator has neither. I know that she will be able to handle the Predator with ease, but this bounce issue may be the deciding factor. I don't want her to dump it or get thrown off if she hits rough terrain. The Breeze is also 50# heavier than the Predator, which makes me uncomfortable if she dumps it. But, the Breeze sits lower to the ground.

It's funny, when I was leaning toward the Breeze she wanted the Predator. Now that I'm leaning toward the Predator, she wants the Breeze. Ah, the eternal conflict between mother and daughter. I suppose the old line, "you'll take what I give you" is going to work here. Her cousin has on off brand 100cc that if I remember correctly is larger than the PRedator. When we go visit I'll make her ride her cousin's quad to see how she handles a larger machine.

Anyone have info on the reliability of a Yamaha vs. Polaris? Any difficulties about maintenance? I also don't like the idea of brake problems as well, or having to put new brakes on it constantly. Any other thoughts?

Old 09-19-2003, 07:57 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The brakes are not a big issue.My son mudsss and rides in lots of deep water.I you stay out of that stuff brakes will last longer.As for the 90 Pred it is just the same as any of the off brand ones but with the Polaris name.If I were looking for another little quad I would go with the Breeze again or look into the Bombardier 4stroke 90 it isnt automatic but looks like a good machine.It may look like I am against the Tiawaniess quads and I am we had an Eton 50 and it was a pain in the butt.

Old 09-19-2003, 10:53 AM
Trailblazer

We've had our Scramblers (same as Predator, diff. plastic) for over a year and they've been great. Not a single problem. We had to buy a bigger quad for our 9 yo, she's 5'3" and bangs her knees on the Scrambler. So, my only complaint is we only got 1.5 years use, in for a penny, in for a pound. You might consider a larger machine that she won't out grow so quickly. Possibly 250EX, Z250 or Trailblazer, Blaster if she's ready to learn clutch. Our 8 yo, who's not big for her age has out grown her Scrambler as well. Not size wise but power and technical stuff. The little quads don't do very well in the dunes and the smaller tires make it difficult to go over rocks and tree roots in the tight stuff. She's ready for a Blaster, total speed freak but very much in control and very safe minded. Just something to consider. We're glad we started out with the small machines, just wish they made Miracle Grow for quads.

Old 09-19-2003, 05:09 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

So the Polaris 90 is a Yamaha 90 (formerly the Badger, now the Raptor) with different plastic??? As I recall, the Yamaha had no rear suspension at all, and limited suspension up front???

So, you have completely eliminated the Honda?? I swear by these machines!

Old 09-19-2003, 05:21 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: reconranger
So the Polaris 90 is a Yamaha 90 (formerly the Badger, now the Raptor) with different plastic??? As I recall, the Yamaha had no rear suspension at all, and limited suspension up front???

No.. the Polaris is not the same as the Yamaha.

Aeon used to make the Polaris minis and may still. The Polaris has one of the better stock suspensions (IMHO), and the Yamahas have a non-independant front suspension.

Bryce

Old 09-19-2003, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider

Recon - I haven't totally ruled anything out yet. But the Breeze and Predator have all the features that I want. Do you have to shift on the Honda 90? I think the Honda is a tad smaller in frame than the Polaris. She sat on one and she was the right fit for right now. I'm not too keen that it doesn't have the full length floor boards.

I want to get her mext quad in October - beat the Xmas rush and Xmas inflated prices - and so she doesn't look like she's riding a mini clown bike once we start riding again. Gone on any good rides lately? I'm thinking the first/second weekend in October may be a good time to start. It'll give me a chance to do some maintenance on the quads.

Back to the original subject, I like the brand name reliability on the Yamahas and Hondas over the Polaris . . . so I still don't know.

Old 09-20-2003, 02:09 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Yeah, the Honda is an autoclutch bike. The kid does have to learn how to shift, but there is that (huge!) advantage of engine braking that the automatics don't have. My daughters 12 year old friends are just coming off of the 90, and starting to ride the 250's. So, at 8, it should be a bike that she won't outgrow for several years. On the other hand, she wouldn't outgrow the Breeze for even more years.

We did a "guys" ride from Miller Canyon up to Deep Creek last Sunday. My friend has a new Yamaha YFZ450, and we had to try it out on the trails. (It isn't a trail bike!) We may do a "kids/beginners" ride behind Cal State San Bernardino next weekend. If we do I will PM you. It would have to be early morning on Sunday, before it gets hot. Your daughter could try out the 90. They don't have to learn to shift immediately. You just leave it in 2nd gear for a while until they get the hang of the bike, then start them shifting. Honestly, you can have a kid shifting well in just a few short hours!! Ricky Stator make a light kit for the Honda, but I think it is fairly expensive.

Old 09-21-2003, 03:01 PM
Pro Rider

I've heard the Predator is a great little quad for just about everything, dirt, dunes, trails, etc. And since it's a two stroke it probably has more power. I have not heard much about the Breeze, but I like the reverse. I'm kind of big on reverse; if a quad don't have reverse, I generally don't like that quad, but I can say that your daughter would probably be satisfied with either of these.

----------------------
1986 Yamaha Moto-4 225
2003 Suzuki z400

Old 09-22-2003, 08:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi, Just got my 2002 Breeze back from the shop. The power out of the Breeze is much greater - 125cc vs. 90 cc. My Breeze tops out around 42-45mph with a 100lb person on it. Mine would'nt start after our 4 days riding in Tug Hill,Ny because the intake valve got hung up. The brakes have been a problem for us but the unit itself has been trouble free for the 400miles and one year. It has not been modified but I am going to add a skidplate, change the rear shock to a smaller one and add snorkles to the tranny and carb so water won't be a problem while following me on my Vinson 500.
The Predator looks nice but you can't beat power and underside clearance for keeping up with 4 wheel drive over bumps and up hills.
BTW: My 2002 Yamaha Breeze is up for sale for $2200.00 - Will deliver within a reasonable distance.

Old 09-22-2003, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

I'd go with the breeze just because its a 4 stroke and alot easier to maintain and run

Quick Reply: Breeze 125 vs. Predator 90