Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

king quad discharging battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 06:01 PM
WNC
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default king quad discharging battery

Old 09-25-2003, 08:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

One tip would be to put this in the Suzuki part of the forums [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I'd want to make sure that the battery is getting charge from the motor.

Old 09-25-2003, 11:55 AM
WNC
Weekend Warrior

Yes, I realized later that I put it in the wrong forum.

I don't think charging is yet an issue. As I said. I put a brand new, fully charged battery in. I ran the atv for just a few minutes and turned it off. A week later the battery is dead. There are no accessories installed that use the battery.

Old 09-25-2003, 06:26 PM
Pro Rider

Look to corrosion in the key switch, adjoining connections and voltage regulator. If you note any greenish residue in the connectors, that would be the cause of the battery drain. To confirm voltage drainage, simply install a charged battery with the positive connector removed. Get a digital volt/ohm meter and place the meter on the DC volt scale. Place the two meter leads between the battery positive and the atv positive wire that would have connected to the battery. If the meter shows any voltage with the ATV off, you have a drain on the battery.

Old 09-25-2003, 06:42 PM
WNC
Weekend Warrior

I have another king quad so I disconnected it's battery to see the difference in when the switch is off/on/lights. The running one when in the on position shows about 360 ohm and it rises and lowers as if connected to a capacitor.

I just removed the front fenders (what a chore) on the one giving me the problem, but at least I can get to all the connections now. I found a device that is connected just under the instrument panel and connects to the main wire bundle. It has a heat sink on it and what looks like a symbol of two diodes facing cathode to cathode. When plugged in and the atv off the battery just continues to lose voltage. When I disconnect this module then the voltage seems to stay steady.

Any idea what device this is?

Old 09-25-2003, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider

That would be a AC/DC rectifier. It converts the alternating voltage produced by the stator into direct (or modulated) direct current. If it has failed, it could be causing the leakage.

Old 09-25-2003, 07:54 PM
WNC
Weekend Warrior

When I run the atv that device gets rather hot. While watching the meter and letting it idle the voltage does go up to just over 13v and when I turn it off it slowly goes down to 12.08v. Or at least that's the point I let it get to. I then run it again and then quickly disconnect that module after turning the switch off. The voltage goes down to about 12.20v but seems to be staying in that area with it disconnected. I'll let it sit that way a few hours and check it again. If it's still fairly stable then I'd assume it is that module. Thanks I appreciate the feed back.

Old 09-25-2003, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider

A fully charged battery should show 12.69 volts. The charging system should produce anywhere from 12.8 to 14.74 volts. If it is draining, make sure the inside of the connectors are very very clean. Also confirm that the key switch, key switch connector and the left hand electrical controls are free from defective corrosion.

When servicing this atv be sure to add some di-electric tune up grease to all of the electrical connectors.