Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

4 wheeler or dirtbike for my son????

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 03:47 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 wheeler or dirtbike for my son????

OK I want to get my son either a dirtbike or a wheeler for Christmas this year, he'll be 3 years old in January and with the winters we get up here he wouldn't be able to ride until late March or so. Yes I know that's a little young but he rides the wheels off his power wheels (I know not the same thing.)
I was thinking of getting him a Honda CRF/XR 50 dirtbike with some EZ-RIDE training wheels or a small 50cc wheeler, not sure which one because there are to many out there! The training wheels look really safe and its almost like a 4 wheeler except a couple of wheels are in different places. The thing I like about the dirtbike is that there are a ton of after market accessories for the XR50 and I could update the bike rather then buy a new one for him when he gets to big for stock settings, it seems like there are not many options to upgrade a 4 wheeler. I just don't want him to get scared or hurt and scare him away from the sport.

Anyone else have this problem and what did you decide??
Thanks

Old 10-01-2003, 06:15 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i started my son out on a pw50. when he waz 3. he picked it up fast. then wouldn't ride it no more . he wanted a quad, so i got a d.r.r90 for him, when he waz 4.now he is 5 racing and doing very well at local tracks"in 1st place on points" .. all the dealers told me if your kid cann't ride a bike with out training wheels, don't put them on a quad, because they will never want to learn the two wheel thing. now he wants a ktm 50 to race with the quad lol. i think the bike helped ,he could ride a bike with out trainning wheels at 3and 1/2. if you go a quad at that young . you might want to look at the t rex. it has a remote kill switch that you hold. even if you buy one or the other you will get your money out of it when selling it. i paid 1100 for the pw50 and sold it 2 yr. later for 900$. hope this helped . man i waz in the same boat as u two years ago lol. imo buy him what evere he likes

Old 10-01-2003, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For years, my current 8.5 year old son has been asking us for a dirtbike. A 75cc/90cc motocross range. Since he's never driven a motocross bike before ,my wife & I decided he should have a Quad first. Last Feb, we purchased him a Predator 90. This 4 wheeler has allowed him to become very experienced on speed, control, braking, cornering, etc. He will ride his Quad until around age 11. At age 11/12, his younger sister will be big enough to drive his current Pred-90, then we'll get my son his promised dirtbike. In our family, we want our kids to start off on a 4 wheeler, then advance upwards (re: motocross that needs more balance, clutch / gears, etc.).

Our our trails, I've seen kids as young as 4 years old on motocross bikes. Some do really good and other do lots of "face plants". Once, a 5 year old wiped out on some loose gravel in front of my son, and got hurt really bad. With a 4 wheeler, this would NOT have happened.

It all boils down to your comfort level and your wife's comfort level, and if you are able to pass a 4 wheeler down your family tree.

Hope this helps...