Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Need help on LT80

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 07:31 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on LT80

My husband and I just bought a 87 LT80 for my 10 yo, 110 lb son to race MX next year. We only gave about $700.00 for it and we are hoping to get all the mods done by the start of the race season. He raced a Alphasport 50 last year, now he has to move up. I need some info on a few things like what size tires/wheels and what kind, whether or not to get a 20mm keihin carb, ideas on how to widen it and what type of suspension to use, we were planning on a FMF pipe and Silencer since he got a FMF sponsorship, but reading some of the posts I'm not so sure now if that's the right way to go. We used a Hetrick Racing pipe and silencer on the alpha, I was wondering does anyone know if we can swap it over to the lt80? I know that we are going to need clutch mods, we got a clutch kit through Hetrick for the alpha will the same one work for the Lt80. We used the red springs on the Alpha, and still have the yellow left. I have so many questions, so little $$$$ and not enough time. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-05-2003, 12:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

HEY, I SEE NOBODY HAS ANSWERED YOU. OK, NOTHING OFF THE ALPHA SPORT WILL FIT THE LT80, START FROM SCRATCH. FIRST HERE IS A LIST OF COMPANYS THAT MAKE THE PRODUCTS YOU ARE WANTING... CT RACING, TRINITY RACING,WWW.MINIQUADRACING.COM, HETRICK RACING. EACH OF THESE COMPAMIES HAS COMLPETE KITS FOR THE MOTOR. WE HAVE A LT80 THAT I BUILT TO RACE, I DIDN'T USE THE COMPANIES ABOVE BECAUSE I DID IT MY SELF. HERE IS WHAT WE HAVE DONE AND IT IS A SCREAMIN DEAMON.... BORED 40 OVER ,DGPIPE,CLUTCH MODS,20MM CARB KIT FROM DG RACING, CARBON FIBER REEDS,PORT AND POLISH... I KNOW I FORGETING SOMETHING SO IF I REMEMBER I GET BACK TO YOU. DOUGLAS ALUM RIMS, HOLESHOT TIRES, DG FRONT BUMPER. MY OPINION IS TO GET THE TIRES AND WHEEL SPACERS FIRST IF YOUR ON A BUDGET, THEN GET THE PIPE AND CLUTCH MODS NEXT, UNLESS YOU NEED A NEW PISTON AND RINGS, CHANCES ARE IF YOU ONLY PAID $700.00 FOR IT IT PROB. NEEDS A NEW TOP END(PISTON,RINGS,FRESH BORE) YOU CAN GET A NEW SET OF WHEEL SPACERS, WISECO PISTON KIT 40 OVER, ON EBAY RIGHT NOW FOR CHEAP, ALWAYS CHECK EBAYMOTORS BEFORE YOU BUY LOTS OF STUFF FOR THE LT80.

Old 11-05-2003, 12:58 PM
Trailblazer

We run Dunlap 19x7x8 on the front and carlise 16x6.5-8 on the back. I would say you are wasteing money on the 20 mm carb. your shock carb can be moded to work just fine. Clutch work is a must, if you are getting the fmf pipe for free try it but i would say you 1987 stock pipe will be fine. With your 10 yr old weighing 110 something besides stock shock would be a good chose. So this is the order in which i would go in.
1. Tires
2. clutch work
3. shocks

Old 11-06-2003, 12:17 PM
Trailblazer

Thank-you for your reply, I was begining to think that no-one was going to reply because I'm a woman. Anyway- What are the differences between the dg and fmf pipe? Has anyone dyno'd them or anything. MY son is only getting a discount from fmf not a full sponsorship. We have decided that we will go with either the fmf or the dg because of cost and try to make up else where on hp. My husband is leaning torward a big bore kit from la sleeve/prox, but someone told me that we wouldn't be able to run the GNC because it cranks it up to a 105cc. I thought you could still run the mod class if we decided to go this route. RawDawg- what size holeshot's and rims are you running, and have you had any trouble with your 20mm DG carb?? My husband is going to port and polish the head, he did his and his brothers banshee's and he hasn't been beat by another banshee, yet. Also as far as the reeds go, what kind are the best?

Old 11-06-2003, 12:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

BOYESEN MAKES GOOD REEDS, I READ THE FMF PIPE GIVES MORE BOTTOM TO MID RANGE, BUT DONT DO MUCH TO THE TOP END. HETRICK MAKES A GGD PIPE THAT WORKS PERFECT WITH THEIR CLUTCH MOD. IF YOU GET THE PIPE AND CLUTCH FROM THE SAME PLACE THEY USUALLY DO BETTER TOGETHER UNLESS YOU KNOW HOW TO MOD. THE CLUTCH YOURSELF, CT RACING ALSO HAS A COMBO KIT TOO. BUT IF YOUR GOING TO MIX AND MATCH WE HAVE HAD VERY GOOD LUCK OUT OF OUR DG. WE RACE MOSTLY AT A (OUTLAW TRACK) SO WE RACE WITH ALOT OF ILLEGAL QUADS, MY SON HOLESHOTS( ETON VIPER w/ BIGBORE KIT AND JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING YOU CAN DO TO IT, TRX90 BORED TO THE MAX, AND EVERYTHING ELSE, WE KNOW THIS BECAUSE THESE PEOPLE ARE OUR FRIENDS AND WE DONT CARE WHO HAS WHAT, JUST MAKES MY BOY RIDE HARDER. YOU CAN GET A USED COMPLETE (DG PIPE ON EBAY RIGHT NOW) GO TO ATV PARTS AND PUT LT80 IN FOR YOUR SEARCH.

Old 11-06-2003, 01:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

WE USE THE 16X6.5X8 ON THE FRONT AND REAR BECAUSE OUR TRACK IS REAL SMOOTH, BUT MOST PEOPLE THAT RACES THE NATIONALS USE THE SAME THAT (FAST FREADY) LISTED ABOVE OR THEY GO WITH 19X7X10 ON THE FRONT AND 16X6.5X8 INTHE REAR THIS IS HOW (HETRICK) SETS UP HIS 90CC STOCK MACHINES. THIS IS THE CHEAPEST WAY TO DO IT AND IT WILL BE JUST FINE..... GOTO www.jl atv products.com and they have a good tire and rim package for$230.00, it has 20x7x8 on the front and 18x9.5x8 on the rear this might be better for you because the lt80 dont have the best suspention in the world no matter what you do to it and it would be a much better landing with the 18's on the back, with your son weighting 110 the 18" would give alittle more shock due to the bigger tire. the #to (jl) is ....1-800-233-2637, they have alot of other lt80 parts too, if you have a dirtwheels mag laying around look in it they have a 4 page section in it usually. im going to this set up in(04) myself. you dont want to race the 90cc mod class in the nationals, will have to race with $15000.00 quads that were built from the ground up with 85cc dirtbike motors in them. read the rules on the nationals mack sure your legal, i dont think you can even change the shocks,or anything.. you can have wheel spacers but no extended a-arms or axles. dont get the bigbore kit anyway its junk, just get you a good port and polish, and everything i listed before and you'll be alright. the lt80 will smoke any 80 or 90cc mini outthere stock for stock in a drag race so dont be worried. the clutch engages much better and always has the power on tap, the little taiwan minis(kasea,eton,dinli,polaris,etc. all were built by AEON MOTOR CO AND HAVE THE SAME MOTOR. I HAVE A DINLI T-REX ALSO AND THE LT80 WILL SMOKE IT BAD AND THE T-REX IS A 96CC WITH A RACING PIPE AND CLUTCH.

Old 11-06-2003, 01:23 PM
Trailblazer

I was thinking of using the 18X6.5X8 Carlise holeshot's on front and the 18x9.5x8 Turf Tamers on the rear with the douglas 8x6 rim. Can you give me some info on why you think the big bore is "Junk"? We had a big bore in the alpha, but he was contantly working on the jetting ect. We race against mini's from 90's to 150's at our local tracks, and you know how bad kids hate to loose. That's why we were considering the big bore. As far as the suspension I think that due to his wt. we might have to splurge on the Work's Performance shock, Elka makes shocks too but I don't have 800.oo bucks to use on that.

Old 11-06-2003, 01:56 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: RAWDAWG
(kasea,eton,dinli,polaris,etc. all were built by AEON MOTOR CO AND HAVE THE SAME MOTOR. I HAVE A DINLI T-REX ALSO AND THE LT80 WILL SMOKE IT BAD AND THE T-REX IS A 96CC WITH A RACING PIPE AND CLUTCH.

not that this is of any use in this post, but... ya better check you facts about the manufacturers... AEON did not build all of these... AEONs are Polaris, AEON and AlphaSports (may be others), Kasea is built by Standard Motor company, Not sure about the Etons, and Dinli is it's own company (In fact, it just bought the designs and rights to the Cannondale quads).

Just because they are all similar in design doesn't make them the same... infact the engine is based on the design of the Yamaha Jog Scooter, and that doesn't make them Yamahas.

Bryce

Old 11-06-2003, 02:27 PM
Trailblazer

I don't want to get off the track here guys because I REALLY need this info on the LT80, but I don't know about the others but the polaris50, Eton50, and Alpha50 have the exact same everthing except plastic and the safety features are sl. different but cant bolt up to each other without a problem. In fact it's cheaper to buy the parts from polaris than the other 2 companies. I do have experience in this field but like I said I REALLY need the info on the LT80, times runny by fast, and I need to make some pretty important decisions and could use the input.

Old 11-06-2003, 04:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

What you need to do is click where it says:"2 new messages"...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Dam those caps reply's hurt my eyes [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Need help on LT80