Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

NEED HELP WITH DINLI T-REX

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 11:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP WITH DINLI T-REX

I bought a t-rex pretty cheap, it starts an runs ok but the clutch dont seem to be engaging right. It acts like the clutch might be slipping or maybe wore out. the guy i bought it off of said it had a new racing clutch but i dont think so, it does have a aftermarket pipe though. The clutch seems to be engaging near the top end sometimes and sometimes it dont kick in at all. my lt80 has clutch mods and its a world of difference comparied to the t-rex. i got this thing because i heard they were fast in stock form, so i figured this one would rip, but it dont.Could anyone help me out with this, i would appreciate it a bunch. i heard the dinli t-rex's had a 96cc motor up to 2003, is this true?

Old 11-09-2003, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

RawDawg,
For me to help , I need more information. Where did the parts come from and what year is the machine?

Also, Clutches slip. that is what a clutch does. Is it just reving up but not wanting to move or is it very sluggest for awhile then finally gets up any goes.

Old 11-10-2003, 04:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

T-rex tommy, thanks for the reply. my t-rex is a 2002 model, the guy said the clutch and pipe came from(Simmons racing) in virginia. Ive looked on their website, and the pipe does look like its one of their's. As for the clutch i dont know for sure. when you gas it from a complete stop and run it all the way to about 100 yards it never seems to kick in right. it feels like somethings holding it back, though it did seem to engage sometimes but not like it should. I rode a friends 2002 polaris 90 and it engaged hard right off the start and would destroy my t-rex, and we have some friends we race with that has a E-ton viper 90 built to the max with a (HETRICK CLUTCH AND PIPE) AND ITS ENGAGES LATER IN THE RPM'S, but when it does "hold on" because its outa there. the t-rex wont even run with the stock polaris, i think it feels like its slipping sometimes and not even engaging sometimes. when you gas it the rpm's will race a little like its getting ready to blast off and then its nothing sounds like it bogs down until it gets going (sluggishly) and then picks up a little speed, wont hardly pull a hill. also its hard to start just cranks and cranks until it finally turns over. the other little polaris 90 and the eton would pull the suspention down almost all the way in the rear when you brake torque it and then blast off, but mine wont even squat down at all and pulls slowly out of the hole. thanks,

Old 11-11-2003, 07:00 AM
Pro Rider

My guess is the clutch is not set-up properly. The pipe that simmons uses is the WRH pipe. You might have to get some clutch parts from him. Also, That pipe has top be rejetted to work. Might be a carb problem.

Old 11-11-2003, 10:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the help i think its the clutch set up too. the guy i bought it from put it in himself, so thats prob. the culprit. the carb prob. is gobbed up with crud, because i pulled the airfilter off and cleaned it, and its the dirtiest one ive ever seen.do you know if it has the 96cc motor or the 89cc, its a 2002 MODEL, Where is the best place to get parts for this thing? thanks

Old 11-11-2003, 12:38 PM
Pro Rider

What you need to run with the pipe you have is a Uni Filter with a 95 main jet. Billy at WRH can help you with parts. Anything you need to know about it, just ask. The motor is a 96cc engine. The variator weights should be brought down to 5.0 with some stiffer clutch engagement springs. The rear torque spring should be good with the others installed.

Old 12-07-2003, 01:48 AM
Pro Rider

RAWDAWG,

I own a T-Rex (actually it's the kids) and I think I know what your problem is. You need a transkit. The transkit won't give it bottom end like a stock T-Rex but makes the power come in sooner. To install one your going to need an impact wrench, a vice, and some BIG channel locks. My kid's pipe, clutch, and transkit came from Simmons Racing. Hope this helps.

Old 12-11-2003, 10:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]ive got it in a local shop right now to try to get it fixed and then sell it, we'll stick with the good ol' "lt80". cant beat the dependability, so why should i try?

Old 12-12-2003, 07:41 AM
Pro Rider

RawDawg,
The problem is folks put pipes and stuff on sometimes and really don't know what they are doing. TEh transmission stock is set-up for a engine that has 6 hp and makes that power in 0 to 3krpm. Teh pipe you have makes power from 2krpm to 8krpm. Before it even thinks about doing anything, your trans is already in high gear and the machine boggs.

Also, If the filter is that dirty, then someone has been riding it. If the carb is set-up right, and the compression is good, that machine should crank in 2 seconds. Check the rollers in the variator. Has something went arye in there and that is why they sold it too you. Are the rollers completely round? Trust me you have a good dependable unit, just needs some work to get it right.

Old 12-12-2003, 07:43 AM
Pro Rider

Just read back thru, the first post you said it started ok now you say it doesn't. Did something happen between the first post and the second post?

Quick Reply: NEED HELP WITH DINLI T-REX