Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT50, LT80, or TRX 90 for Christmas??

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 04:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT50, LT80, or TRX 90 for Christmas??

http://www.cpsc.gov/library/foia/foi...xposurept1.pdf

THis is what I was referring to earlier. Go to page 3 and 4 and read on.... The only reason I'm posting this is opur industry was killed for a decade and we don't want that to happen again. Why we may not agree with some of the rules the statistics are very telling.
Jarrett

Old 12-17-2003, 04:51 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks,
We were going to get the 90, but I am GLAD we didnt, I dont think it was a waste of money at all, they have great re-sale, and if it is even 30% safer..... well that is 30% in my favor..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

so even if it was a "waste"...... I will gladly throw my money out the window... for the safety of my son.....

The 50.... even though he will outgrow it in a year.... is almost to fast for now....

and kids...well they dont have the reaction time, the thought process, or ability to reason...
the "well if I do this...I could get hurt".....

It was the best descision for him.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I will just have to sell it to the neighbor in a few years..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Deb

Old 12-17-2003, 05:07 PM
Trailblazer

I understand what your getting at.... and the "maturity level" should be the gauge,
not age....I totaly agree....

But what you have to understand is that even myself reading your post makes it "sound" like you are advocating that a 50cc is a waste of money....
That I dont agree with....<wink>

they have to put the age on there to make it "stupid" proof....... and I agree that a 4-5 yr old should not be handeling anything bigger than a 50.... to learn on,,,especialy now that I have seen first hand a 4 yr old on one...<stomach in throat everytime he "spins" circles> lol...

It is the learning curve,
but its also a curve that no matter how much we "want" to believe that "OUR" kid knows better...well...that is the "stupid" factor..... hahahah

they make those "ages" to say that a 6yr old, now has the mental reasoning ability to "react" to a dangerous situation..

So even though they are "bogus"...they DO have their reasons....
you know just like the "do not use hair dryer in the bathtub" duh.....

and your also right that a 4 yr old on a 400 being supervised is just as safe or safer than a 8 yr old on a 50 being unsupervised.....

but also...in a true "accident" no amount of supervision is going to protect your kid. you cant jump on and correct it for him,
and that is why they have the 40cc with the kill buttons..... so that you as a parent standing 50 feet away...CAN make a descision for them.... in an instant..
I wish they put those on the 50cc models also...never hurts....
Just MHO
Deb

Old 12-17-2003, 05:28 PM
Trailblazer

WHen I bought my son his LT80 I had it and still do to some degree, kinked down so much it would hardly move. Wouldn't move with me on it at first. I was replacing plugs left and right, changed the gas mix to reduce smoking, widened it 5 inches. If I start to see him got out of line then he looses a little speed, instantly. I think the 50cc's are limited to 15-17MPH. Plenty fast, probably faster than some can run.....

I just didn't like the fact that some real small hills that should be easy to go over the bikes don't have the power to make it... So here comes dad, shoving his friends kids with the 50cc bikes and quads over hills when they have stalled.... And yes i did use a poor choice of word when I said "waste". It's never a waste, no mater what, to think of safety first.
Jarrett

Old 12-17-2003, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider

I really appreciate the input from everyone. I have been racking my brain trying to figure out what to do. You guys helped me figure it out. I also called a few people that had 50's in the paper and asked them why they were selling. One guy with a Scrambler 50 has had it about a year and said he upgraded to a Predator 90. He said the 50 was too slow for his little girl, and dealer would not help him get any more juice out of the 50 because of safety and liability issues.

When I went and sat him on all the 50's the other day he was about right on some and a little too big for the LT50. He's not very tall and has fairly short legs but I think he's got a growth spurt coming on soon. Anyway, I planning on having a yellow LT80 under the tree for Christmas. One of my concerns with the 50's is if we do some mild trail riding around the camp site the 50's just don't look like they can handle it. And since we have to drive 2 hrs to a riding area we don't get to go riding very often. By the time he gets to ride 5 or 6 times he will be 5yrs old and I'll be ready to trade it in on a bigger one. I was also thinking if we get down a trail somewhere and he gets tired or bumps his elbow or whatever I may have to ride it back to camp. The LT80 should haul me back to camp just fine at 175lbs.

Jarsong---I pulled up the site for the spacers. He has 1 1/2" and 2 1/2". Which ones did you get? The 2 1/2 seems like it would look a little weird with the wheels sticking way out. ?? Has anyone had the little 80 in much mud? He likes mudholes but the little shallow kind (less than 6inches).

We already test fit a helmet and they said the mini goggles are one size fits all. He has a pr of boots to ride in, but does anyone else go beyond that, maybe a pr of gloves?

Old 12-17-2003, 10:14 PM
Trailblazer

Cat,
When my critter goes out, he's wearing this, everytime.
Good quality full-face helmet. Make it lightweight, easier on the neck.
Long-sleeve shirt. Riding jersey optional.
Gloves, snow type in the winter.
Fox chest protector, or as he calls it "Fox chrome shoulders". [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Size- PeeWee
Long pants, riding pants optional.
Kneepads, the ones that are used in skateboarding.
Boots. He uses hiking boots at this time.

Since I'm getting him a dirtbike soon, real riding boots are on the short list.
He wears goggles if there's anyone else riding or if there's a chance that there'll be some rocks or dust being kicked up.
I'm considering a neck roll.

I can't emphasize enough the importance of having all the proper gear. I've seen my little guy flip his quad, hit trees, run himself over, even took a header off a 15' cliff- all with zero injuries. His helmet, chest protector, and kneepads all bear battle scars- but he doesn't. He's scared himself quite a few times, but that's all part of learning. Putting your child on the correct sized machine and then properly dressing them for the inevitable crash isn't just a good idea- it's a parent's job.

Gotta' go- Christmas show at the school!

Old 12-17-2003, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider

I think I will check out the chest protectors while I'm at the dealer. Thanks for the input everybody!!!!!

Old 12-18-2003, 12:10 AM
Trailblazer

Back from the Christmas show. Kids are great.

If your boy's big enough, go to www.rockymountainatv.com and look up the O-neal youth pro chest protector. $35.99!!

Old 12-18-2003, 01:50 AM
Trailblazer

Geez, My son lives for mud holes! ALmost like he has a mud magnet on the front bumper. Goes out of his way to hit every mud puddle/water hole... The spacer don't stick out to much and give the quad a Racer look to it. It puts a little more mud on the plastic is all. It is virtually impossible for him to flip it now at the speed I have it regulated to. Watching him race his friend on the PW50 is most fun. The LT80 can pretty much walk over the 50 but they have a great time! He is to the point now he can do high speed 4 wheel drifts and the thing doesn't even hint at tipping over. Oh, and as far as you riding it, if you back out the throttle limiter you'll have more fun on it than him. It is an AWESOME wheelie machine. With the throttle uncorked the power is incredeble.
Jarrett

Old 12-18-2003, 06:21 PM
Trailblazer

lt 80 now way man too big my girl is only 4 and she can only us her lt 50 with the restricter on

Quick Reply: LT50, LT80, or TRX 90 for Christmas??