Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT50, LT80, or TRX 90 for Christmas??

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT50, LT80, or TRX 90 for Christmas??

I'm about to buy my son a new 4wheeler for Christmas and was wondering which one to get him. He's only 4 and fits on the 50cc's but they won't handle what he will do with it. He's a mudder at heart. What are your thoughts on a small water tight quad? I don't like the Yamaha and I don't want to worry about the reliability of the new brands. I can get a Dinli at cost but I don't like them at all.

Old 12-14-2003, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To help us provide ideal recommendations, please tell us the age, weight and/or height of your son, the type of trails you'll be riding and how much previous experience does your son have. Sounds like he likes mud, so does mine, but will you also be going into flat track racing or staying with trail type mudding only???

Based on your signature contents, you seem to like beefing up things. Do you plan to beef-up your son's future quad as well???

The LT50 & LT80 are auto CVT transmissions. Just press the gas and go!!!! The LT80 is a very quick "off the line" pure stock unit but many say it tips more easily then other brands. On rough trails, its engine case break over time. The Honda has a great reliable 4 stroke engine but doesn't have electric start (re: pull start) and has a manual transmission. Many first time riders at a very young age can't handle the shifting while driving complexities at the same time. Also, standing in mud pulling a pull cord has its yuckiness moments as well.

As a thought, do you have your options open to Kasea, E-Ton, Polaris and other brands???

Old 12-14-2003, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider

I don't see any racing in the future, mostly riding around camp and some short excursions on the trail with a little mud. He is 4yrs old and about 40 lbs. His riding experience consists of riding with me on the Rubicon and his little Powerwheels Ninja.

I will probably add some hop-ups and such to his ride when he is ready for them, I enjoy that type of thing.

One of my main concerns is reliability. I imagine he will want to keep it in the mud and water all the time. So something that is watertight is preferable. I noticed on the Predator 50 and Dinli PJ50 the airbox is in front of and below the engine.

Old 12-14-2003, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO:

Based on the type of driving you want to do and the current age of your son, I would recommend to stay within the 50cc class. I can't image my 5 year old girl (who's the same weight as your son) driving my son's Pred-90. Our Pred-90 is 233lbs. If this much weight rolls or flips onto your son, it will be too much - even with proper body protection. As your son develops his driving skills, continue to add MODs or save your MOD money and trade up to a 90 cc - only when the time is right. There a some of this forum who have their 5 year old on 90s and they do great. Other's feel that only age 7/8 (and up) should be on a 90. If it was me and my 5 year old girl, I'd put her on an auto 50cc and ensure it has a foot brake. 4 year olds can't handle brake lever type brakes very well.

As a suggestion, visit a place that sells 50s & 90s and fit your son on them. Each brand have different height and running board / foot peg measurements. Some have created customized "U" bars to raise the foot traction area 1" (or so). If possibly, find a dealer that allows kids to take a unit for a spin in their backyard area. A few Dealers have open houses and allow potential buyers to take their favorite models for a 5 minutes spin (with full restrictions usually on).

Many minis have their factory air filter box by their left or right wheel area. Our Pred-90 has a factory SEALED filter box in the left wheel location, but its air intake tube this is approx 3" above its engine. Which ever brand you investigate, ensure it has a sealed air intake system and its intake is going above the engine.

You'll also discover that most mini-quad factory recommended MAX water level is between the running board to mid engine area. Regardless how high its suspension appears, always ask the dealer what it's recommended MAX water level is and what it's "REAL" MAX water level is. If plan on doing lots of mud, I found that a unit with disc brakes is much easier to wash out, and very easy to perform visual inspections on. Approx twice per year, I have to flush out the mass amounts of mud in our Pred-90's brake drum system.

I don't have direct experience with the LT50 or Pred-50.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-15-2003, 02:27 AM
Trailblazer

The LTA50 is a great starter quad for beginners, but has limited performance potential. At 40# he's probably going to be small for the LT80, and have you looked at the Honda 90- it's pretty big. Unless he has long legs, these 2 may not fit. Mine has really short legs, but maybe you won't have that issue.

The LTA50 is not a CVT quad, it has a centrifugal clutch, then right to the sprocket. You'll have 2 issues with the lil Zuk.
1) It's horribly gutless until the restrictors are removed. I'm still working on getting some more performance out of the clutch, do a search on Graydon Proline, there's some hop-up info there. PM me is you have any other questions on making the LTA50 quicker.
2) The factory airbox is a joke. Especially in water. The little foam filter soaks up water like a Bounty commercial, then drains just enough of it so the bike will idle fine, but not run at full throttle because it's now running ultra rich. That's an issue since Junior's going to ride it at WOT most of the time. Like the performance issue, there's a fix. The quickest would be to pull the airbox (not much of an airbox as you'll see) apart and remove the little metal plate on the inside. Weld a fitting to the plate, then run a hose off the fitting up under the seat to a Uni or K&N filter that has a matching fitting on it. I'm working on a real airbox for the LTA50, btw.

One thing to be aware of, most of the kids quads are CVT trannys (Yamaha (poo) and Honda's aren't). If you get water in the trans, forward motion will cease. You'll likely need to run a breather hose off the case to a high spot. If your critter fits the Korean 90cc models (Kasea, Dinli, E-ton, etc), you may very well be better off. I think that DRR makes a good snorkel that will fit almost any of these quads.

Old 12-15-2003, 09:14 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started my son out at 4.5 on an old 87 LT80, just turned the throttle limit screw on the handle in to limit the power while he got used to it. He was whipping donuts on loose gravel by the second week (nearly bald tires on back helped a lot). We spent a lot of time in gravel pits letting him putt around getting used to going over inclines, small 6 inch jump bumps, you'd be surprised how fast they learn with proper supervision. The following year, we went to South Dakota and rode in the Black Hills, some of the trails were steep and rocky, he handled all but the worst very well. He rode that little quad until he was 8, he got so big, he went straight to a Recon, sold that LT80 to a friend, his kid rode it for a few years, and he sold it to get a dirt bike, now another kid is riding it, that old LT80 is still out there kicking, tough little quad. If your boy can reach the foot pegs, don't hesitate to get the LT80, in a few years, it can be modded for a lot of performance, he won't soon get tired of it.

Old 12-15-2003, 09:29 AM
Trailblazer

Not a single mini manufactured likes water. No matter which brand you pick i suggest the first thing is to teach your son is the less water he go through the longer he will be able to ride it that day. After reading your sons age,weight and were you plan on riding it i would suggest you look into the DRR.

Old 12-15-2003, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

I just came from a Yamaha and Polaris dealer, went after work. They had a Scrambler 50 that was pretty cool looking and had some great suspension, but I still don't like the build of it and the dealer couldn't tell me if the floorboard extensions of the Predator 50 would fit it or not. I don't like the look or design of the Yamaha's at all. We then went to a Honda dealer and checked out the 90. Man, that thing is way too big for him. He's like me long back, no legs, but shorter of course. I sat him on several quads last weekend at a dealer that carries alot of brands. He liked the Predator 50 and it fit him well. The LT50 actually looked a little small for him and there wasn't much suspension on it.

He will be almost impossible to keep out of the water and mud. He has been on several riding trips with me to Fun Wheeler, Gator Run, and Shiloh ridge on the big quad with full lift and mud tires. He is used to being rack deep in goo. He plays in the bath tub with his little model 4 wheelers like hes getting stuck.

I really like the build and quality of the Honda 90. The airbox is just like the big wheelers, sealed and snorkeled up under the gas tank, but there is no way he can touch the footpegs.

This is turning into a harder decision than buying myself one. Thanks for the input so far.

Old 12-15-2003, 10:41 PM
Trailblazer

I could be wrong, but I thought I remember reading that the latest Polaris 50 was garbage, but that the older ones were just fine. If the LTA50 looks to be just a little too small, pass one it.

Sounds like the LT80 or one of the Korean quads is the way to go.

Old 12-15-2003, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

I just added a couple of pics to my page. I'm not sure if they are up yet or not. It says pending approval.

Quick Reply: LT50, LT80, or TRX 90 for Christmas??