Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

50cc redcat

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 05:08 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 50cc redcat

statermike

had two friends buy them, one from the Mfr. and another from a dealer in Orange County. took them out to glamis, one for a 5 year old and the other for a 6 year old. they BARELY moved in the kiddie burms (mostly hard packed). tried them on the hardpack around camp, they moved ok, however, our other friends Dinli was just blowing them away, my other friends Xtreme49, performed much much better (I bought an x49). one of the two redcats was DOA by day 3, don't know what happened but after about 3 total hours of riding it was wasted. the poor kids were so upset because the other quads out there were racing around the kiddie burms and thiers were having to be pulled because they just couldn't handle it. take any mini quad and match it up with any redcat, and you can see for yourself, they have no response, overheat fast, and are just plain slow!! i saw it first hand. one bud decided to sell it, bought his kid a Kasea, now the kids happy, my other friend is stuck in service hell trying to get his fixed- 3 weeks and still waiting for parts to get to his dealer. they weren't my quads (luckily), but I have seen first hand the poor performance and service. i know that 50's aren't supposed to be duning machines, but they SHOULD have NO problem zipping around the kiddie tracks on semi packed sand. we had a couple of more experienced kiddies jump on and always had the same poor results. anybody can get a bad quad, we all know that, but two, from two different locations? if we get a dog and take it out- oh well, but kids don't look at it the same when thier lil friends are flying by and they are the slugs of the track, or even worse, watching dad try to figure out why thier new quad is DOA, to me that translates as "garbage".

Old 01-25-2004, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider
Default 50cc redcat

I bought my son a Kazuma 100 last summer and it was the biggest piece of crap!!!!! NO POWER!!! Shifter would never go into nuetral brake pads were made of fiber board instead of break pad material, gas tank liner came apart at the filler neck so every bump he hit it would leak gas onto the seat!! wires into the cdi were so tight that they always pulled out! Seat fell apart material all got hard and cracked and to check the air filter you had to tear half the bike apart and remove the airbox because they put the screws on the bottom!!

STAY AWAY FROM THESE!!!!

Chris

Old 01-29-2004, 01:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 50cc redcat

Hey skatermike24,
I'm looking for an ATV for my daughter, she is 7. She rode a friends Bombadiar 90, and it seem to fit her well. I'm am interested in the REDCAT 110cc. Any info you can give would be helpful. What engine to they use, who makes it? How does it hold up compared to the BIG named ones.

Thanks,
Terry

Old 01-29-2004, 09:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 50cc redcat

why not go with a yamaha raptor 50. Shaft drive four stroke. Nice machine. I think it lists for about 2k and they have a good rep.

Old 01-29-2004, 10:40 PM
Trailblazer
Default 50cc redcat

hey Terry

my 9 year old rides a bomb. ds90 and it's great, put some skat-trak- gliders and a Big Gun full system and the thing is pretty good. Xtreme makes a nice quad on a budget as well, they have a 100 or 150 with reverse, don't know much about that one, but just wanted to pass that along

Old 01-30-2004, 04:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 50cc redcat

Thanks for the replies.

I want something bigger then a 50, she'll grow out of it too fast. The raptor 80 is a 4stroke shaft drive, and auto clutch... everything I was looking for. Except the it doesn't have independent front suspension, it has a like a swing arm. I'm going to look go down and look at them on Sat (tomorrow).

She rode a Bomb. 90. It seemed ok, it does seem like a good choice: auto cluctch, and 4 stroke. It was RED stickered though. Are any of the kids bikes GREEN stickered?

Thanks again,
Terry

Old 01-30-2004, 07:10 PM
Trailblazer
Default 50cc redcat

here's the deal I got on my Bomb. DS-90.

I don't know how many they have left, but I bought a "BRAND NEW" 2002 DS-90 from Montclair Yamaha- 4 stroke..... for $1,450 ($1,600 o.t.d) with a GREEN STICKER (because it's an 02), they had about 50 of them. same thing every time..... the DMV will send a red sticker and then a couple weeks later you would get a correction from the DMV with a green sticker. It's the same ds-90 as the 04, they come pre-wired for headlights, plug and all. Don't know where your at, but thats the deal I got from Montclair Yamaha (Montclair, CA) I don't know if they even have any left, but 1450 sounded good to me, tacked on $350 for the big gun system & skats and had a good deal for under $2k. I am pretty sure that the Raptor 80 will out perform the DS-90, but last time I checked the Rap's were going for $2,400+, but my 9 year old averages about 25-30 mph in the sand and seems to make it up some descent hills.

good luck

Old 01-30-2004, 07:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 50cc redcat

$1600 that's a deal, and a it's GREEN STICKERED. How long ago did you buy yours? I'm in Northern CA, but will still look into it. THanks!
Terry

Old 01-30-2004, 10:19 PM
Trailblazer
Default 50cc redcat

Originally posted by: spsocal
here's the deal I got on my Bomb. DS-90.

I don't know how many they have left, but I bought a "BRAND NEW" 2002 DS-90 from Montclair Yamaha- 4 stroke..... for $1,450 ($1,600 o.t.d) with a GREEN STICKER (because it's an 02), they had about 50 of them. same thing every time..... the DMV will send a red sticker and then a couple weeks later you would get a correction from the DMV with a green sticker. It's the same ds-90 as the 04, they come pre-wired for headlights, plug and all. Don't know where your at, but thats the deal I got from Montclair Yamaha (Montclair, CA) I don't know if they even have any left, but 1450 sounded good to me, tacked on $350 for the big gun system & skats and had a good deal for under $2k. I am pretty sure that the Raptor 80 will out perform the DS-90, but last time I checked the Rap's were going for $2,400+, but my 9 year old averages about 25-30 mph in the sand and seems to make it up some descent hills.

good luck

i own a raptor 80 and they are far from fast i'm betting the ds 90 will out perform the rappy

just my two cents

Old 02-15-2004, 10:44 AM
Trailblazer
Default 50cc redcat

Ok guys after reading and reading i went ahead and bought two of the 50cc red cats
as talked about on this very site the shifter and the seat latch are the only things i have found under standard for a yard machine the have tons of power at low speed IF anything goes wrong i will post here
as allll u guys helped me make my choice

thanks to everyone

if anyone has anyquestions now that i have two bike in front of me ask and i'll help u any way i can

i placed two riders on the bikes yesterday for like 3 hours and it was there first gas powered machine they did a great job only a few crashes from behind and one fight( lol ) they had a blast

once again thanks to everyone

Quick Reply: 50cc redcat