Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

suzuki 160 hop-up

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 11:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suzuki 160 hop-up

Well, Im torn. I want to hop-up my suzkuki 160 but dont know where to start. I was thinking about making some custom a-arms that are longer. Do you think this would be a good idea? And Id get new shocks. Anyways Im just looking for some input...Does anyone know if an another quads stock parts will fit? Has anyone done anything similar to this? Also im thinking of putting a new motor, a little bigger. Any ideas are appriciated. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-09-2004, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you will spend lots of money and get minimal results. The LT160 is a decent, old school, basic small quad. It's not a sport quad and never will be. If you want performance in that size range, get a Blaster. Even a stock Blaster will be a hotter bike that any hop up's you could add to an LT160.

Jaybee

Old 01-09-2004, 09:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am on a budget, but I think I could get used shocks, banshee motor and more for a fairly decent price. I can also fabricate a new swing arm..but then again the cost of axels. If I could find a swing arm off of a banshee or other sport quad that would fit, I think it would work great with the new arms and shocks.

Jeff

Old 01-09-2004, 10:12 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff-Compliments for being ambitious, but a Shee engine in the little 160 would be ridiculous! There isn't much you can do to the little 160. All the mods you suggest, would just mess up the bikes handling.

Just ride the tires off it for a few years, save your money, and then step up to a higher performance bike. Like he said, Blasters are cheap and a great ride.

Old 01-09-2004, 10:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks...

But Im 16, so a blaster is going to be really small. My uncle has a 250r that I ride when we go out to the desert. The 160 is just going to be a project...In fact I also had an idea of "i-beaming" this quad. WHY? Just to have something different...Its not like Im going to get hardcore on this quad..even though I cant anyways lol. Ive had it since it was new in 99. Just thought it could be something to new learn things on...And I do not thing a Shee motor would be too ridiculas. I mean look at some modified 250r's with street bike motors..now thats too much...Anyways thanks for all of your comments. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
Cheers
Jeff

Old 01-09-2004, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jeff,

Sounds like you are a "tinker". Like me at age 16, I too was someone who tore things apart, customized the heck out of it, then have something that's different then the others. In my old day, my snowmobiles had things done to them that many people questioned. Questioned why I did it and they were always puzzled on such little handling / performance gain I got out of it. I'm sure many said the same things about the Wright Brothers and their airplane modifications as well. Sounds like you are determined to "tink around" with your 160. Have fun and learn lots but keep in mind the performance gain sounds very little. However, I'm sure you'll have lots of fun customizing it youself. Don't go "too gung ho" at first. Do one mod at a time, test for handling / performance improvement, be prepared to undo your customized mod and most of all, have fun... To some, building / customizing is more fun then riding them...

Old 01-09-2004, 11:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

spike99
You are completly right. You couldnt have explained it better. I do plan on one mod at a time..First maybe some extended arms..then tinker with the rear...and get rid of those ballon tires hehe. I dont plan on it being totally non-ridable. I am very into sudying truck suspensions...(Long Travel - Prerunners, Desert Racing). I am familiar with keeping the geometry correct. But since this is my first project, Im going to take small steps. If I ever get this done, I will have to post some photo's :-) . I do plan on keeping all the stock parts, JUST in case I want to "undo" my hicups. Thanks for taking the time to respond with a great explanation. Props go to you...

Jeff