Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

lt 80 fuel problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 12:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt 80 fuel problems

i have a '93 lt80 that i got for my son for christmas. We took them out last weekend and did some pretty wet and muddy riding.I got home pressure washed it and put it in the garage.I went out yesterday to start it and it was really weak turning over so i put it on the charger. I got it to start but it would not idle and eventually died out and wouldn't start again.Later i went out and there was a puddle of fuel under the quad.It looked to be coming out of the blue motor case on the right hand side.I put a drain pan under it and by morning it had drained the tank,approx. 1 1/2 gal.Someone please help!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 01-22-2004, 10:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Your petcock stuck open for some reason. (providing that you had the petcock in the on position, NOT prime)
The "on" position is actually off when the motor is not running.

Old 01-22-2004, 12:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for your response.I realize how the prime and on work on the petcock, my concern is shouldn't that fuel have stopped when the float bowl was full?When i was trying to get it started i did turn it on to prime but i did turn it back to on.Someone also told me that there is a seal in the side plate that shouldn't have allowed the fuel to come out of the side case.

Old 01-22-2004, 03:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

I agree that the crankshaft seal shoud not allow it to drip there. Thats another problem [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
As far as the float needle shutting off the fuel: It will as long as the petcock is working properly.Once the petcock allows fuel to leak thru, the hydraulic weight of the gas can easily push thru the float needle.
some buy a very expensive new petcock. I'd try blowing back thru the fuel line to see if that removes any blockage.I run a 1/4 turn on/off valve for a dollar [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-22-2004, 04:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

How hard of a fix is the crank seal? Also i am not sure what you mean about a 1/4 turn petcock.Is there any way i can contact you?I am not really good at explaining things and i am a worse typer and computer user.Thanks.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 01-22-2004, 05:02 PM
Trailblazer

I had similar problems on my kids' LT80's.....So it was Jack(LT80) to the rescue. I simply installed some quarter turn valves into the fuel lines. Can find these at your local small engine shop........Then I disconnected and plugged the vacuum line between the petcock and the carb. Now I just turn the 1/4 turn valve on and off and leave the tank petcock in the on position. This took care of my "flooding" problem. Just need to remember to keep the valve off when not running quad.

Old 01-22-2004, 08:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

To replace the seal, you must remove the p[lastic cover and the fan. A puller must be used to remove the flywheel.
the seal can then be easily pryed out and pushed back in.

Old 01-25-2004, 10:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok i'm back. I took the fuel line off and turned the petcock to the on position and fuel continued to pass thru the line.Problem #1.Then i took the carb off and the float seat was about 1/4 plugged.I also noted that the needle had a small groove in it.Should this be replaced or is a small groove normal?Problem #2.The carb had fuel all the way to the top and there was a bunch of fuel in the exhaust pipe.Now i have the cover,fan,and mag off.Do i need to replace the seal since some fuel leaked thru to the blue side cover?And also,how do i get the fuel out of the cylinder and exhaust.Should i look for any other problems while i have it apart?Thanks for any help.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 01-26-2004, 10:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

The needle should be replaced.
Yes, replace the seal.
The fuel will exit with the engine turning over. You can also pick the front of the machine up (strait up on the grab bar), this may allow the fuel to run out.
Sand the stator and flywheel to remove any rust/crud.
Lets hope that does it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]