Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT80 Exhaust & carb restrictors and cleaning pipe

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 04:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LT80 Exhaust & carb restrictors and cleaning pipe

I know some of these have been asked before, but I couldn't find the topics or answers when I tried word searches on this site.

I took off the exhaust pipe on my 1993 LT80/project. There is a washer recessed inside the exhaust port side that makes it flush with the port and area where the pipe bolts on. This washer is approx. 1-1/2" OD, and 1-1/8" ID. It doesn't seem like a restriction since it's about the same ID as the pipe ID. Is this the restrictor, or has mine already been removed? Is there supposed to be a gasket between pipe and exhaust port?

A bike shop told me it's good maintenance to clean the pipe by heating it up with a propane torch to clean out the carbon. It sure smoked a lot. Anyone ever heard of, or done this? How much/long do you heat it up? I can still taste and smell it! Seemed like the flow got a ot better though.

What's the bolt near the end of the pipe for? Drain bolt? A lot of liquid came out of here (or fuel since it flamed quite a bit). Why not just leave this open?

Took the carb off and cleaned it. Is the throttle body restrictor between the spring and the plastic knurled cap? I can't see a restrictor here, and I think it's been removed. The manual doesn't seem to help much in clearly identifying either of these.

Thanks for your help.

Old 01-31-2004, 02:16 AM
Pro Rider

Got the answer to my own Q today at dealer. On microfiche, the washer I was talking about is a gasket. Odd gasket, but it is quite thick. I saw on same 'fiche the restrictor,it's a thin washer with tiny hole.

Old 01-31-2004, 02:19 AM
Pro Rider

BTW, dealer was skeptical about needing to heat up pipe to clean it,. Said they did it lots in old days with carbon build-up, but oils today are much better, so no need to do this. For what it's worth , I thought flow got a lot better from taking the propane torch to it(You could see the grey/blue smoke really start to go).