Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Lt80 Where to begin?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 11:13 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt80 Where to begin?

Ok I'm trying to get my son ready for his first seanson of MX. I too race and have a modded machine but where do you begin with your kid?

He has been riding for a year now and I must say he rides really well. I've had him jumping small doubles and floaters and he really enjoys it. And I have no limiters on it including throttle screw.

But the machine is stock other than flipping the wheels. Where do I begin? I sit here in front of my PC searching for ideas from other people and prices on everything.

So here's what I'm thinking:

Rear Tires - turf tamers 18"
Front Tires - should I change or use stockers?
JL front end extender
Suspension? Front and back? Is it necessary for a first year racer?
More Power? Or should I let him race it stock since it's his first year?

HELP!! I'm giving myself a freakin' migraine over this. It's not that I expect him to go out and win his first year but I want him to have fun. And we all know you don't have fun if you can't keep up. I know I felt like crap my first couple of races cuz I couldn't compete. But with some mods and experience I got my first trophies last year and it was GREAT! I just want him to be able to experience the same.

Old 02-02-2004, 11:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My thought is keep him in the stock class to start. This is where the riders talent will show. Being new to the bike this will also give you time to find out what mods work best before you throw a ton of money at it. I put my son in the mod class with his stock bike (KTM 50) because I want him to out ride the other kids. When he is ready will mod the bike. Besides he runs in the top five in the mod class. Having HP and knowing how to use it are two different things. Anyway just my two cents

Scott

Old 02-02-2004, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple of things you can do without too much trouble is 1: front clutch, take a couple of weights out, or drill out the 6 in there, better launch, stays in power band better, quicker off the line and in corners. 2: take the reed cage out, replace stock metal reeds with good aftermarket reeds, and mill the tapered end that goes to the motor out to make for more top end flow, then jet up a couple of sizes, and you will have a much more responsive, peppy power output. This way the motor stays stock, and you can do both mods in an afternoon in your garage. When you are ready for real power, get a hold of Jack (LT80 on the forum) and he can do pretty much whatever you want for power output on that little motor, he really knows his stuff.