Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT80 Chain

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004 | 12:09 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default LT80 Chain

I just purchased a used '87 LT80 for my son. I am making several repairs. The chain is very loose, how tight is it suposed to be? If it's supposed to be tight, is there an adjustment or does it need replacement? Thanks in advance.

Old 02-11-2004 | 01:43 AM
Pro Rider
Default LT80 Chain

hey bud, we're in the same ship.I'm in the midst of a project LT80 that was badly neglected. I've posted a lot of Q's here and the guys are very helpful. Someone told me the chain should be "tight". I think it's like any motorcycle/atv chain, give it a tug at the back/middle of the rear sprocket. If you see the pointy area of the gear tooth, too stretched. If you only see the bottom half of the tooth, should be fine. Check to see if there's a master link. If not, I'll guess it's a factory chain, and you should probably replace.

It's a 520 chain. buying one chain will give you the equivalent of about 3 chains. my chain had 36 pins. when I replaced it, I found the new one seemed a bit loose, but definitely tighter than the old one. there's no way I could go one less link, so it must be right.there is NO tension adjustment. while I was doing chain, I noticed axle seemed a bit loose. It was the lower bolts that were loose and needed tightening ( around chain area). you might want to check yours. also was surprised to find a grease nipple on the back axle (with a rubber cover over it).

One of the guys here emailed me a photo of a mod they did by drilling and adding a tension roller for chain. apparently a few of them have done that. if you want it, PM me and I'll email it to you.

if you have other problems, try a few different combos in the search option here, or surf a few of these pages to find the answer. if you don't find it, post it. I'll try to help where I can to repay the kindness others here have shown me, and to save some wear and tear on them! I also have Suzuki factory manual so I can give you some specs if you need them. despite the manual, a lot of times the info here is better.

sorry if i tend to oversimplify things, but i explain it the way i need to hear it so it makes sense to me.

one other thing i found that I thought was a little wierd; no fuel/air mixture screw on carb!

Old 02-14-2004 | 12:05 AM
Pro Rider
Default LT80 Chain

Definately install a Spring Loaded chain tensioner on your mini. We installed a spring loaded chain tensioner on our '03 Pred-90 and have had great success. Increase safety, no noise from a loose chain flapping around and don't have to tighten it so often.

I now recommend Spring Loaded chain tensioners on all chain driven quads and motocross bikes. For a visual of our chain tensioner, surf: Press Here

Note: If you tighten the chain too much, it may pull your motor sideways (or cause other mechanical damage) when the rear suspension is going through its full compression distance.

Hope this helps...

Old 02-14-2004 | 01:17 AM
Pro Rider
Default LT80 Chain

spike 99, I'm impressed. I don't think there is any tension adjustment for the LT80, at all. DLH4x4, I've got a photo of how it was done to a Suzuki. seems to me they didn't have to mod their chain guard on Suzuki. PM me if you want photo.

Old 02-14-2004 | 01:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Default LT80 Chain

Ask somone to send you my infamous chain roller pic [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-14-2004 | 03:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default LT80 Chain

that's the pic I was offering to send. i just sent it to spike99.

Old 02-14-2004 | 08:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default LT80 Chain

Here's the LT-80 Chain Roller picture I offered to post: Press Here

For those of you who are buying lottory tickets, here's one you may like: Press Here

After that `big win`, here's one we can all relate to: Press Here

Hope these help....

Old 07-12-2005 | 02:39 PM
Range Rover
Default LT80 Chain

hey spike you please post those pic again?
trying to fix my nephews 96 lt80

thanks kindly
joe fab

Old 08-11-2005 | 01:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default LT80 Chain

I'm new to this site, just got a 87 lt80 would like to have pictures of chain roller
thanks

Old 08-11-2005 | 10:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Default LT80 Chain

Welcome to the ATV Connection forums sandhopper.
Press on the link that Spike99 provided for pics. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: LT80 Chain