Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Mud question

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 01:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mud question

My 7 year old son got a 2002 scrambler 90 for Christmas. He's having a lot of fun with it and the size fits him well. The only problem is it throws mud everywhere! When he comes in, he and the machine are extremely covered. A little mud is fine but what is happening is ridiculus. He's riding through woods and across farm land. What's worse is that my 10 year old and myself ride with him and it throws mud all over us. We don't even feel like we are all riding together because we have to stay so far away from him to avoid being hit with mud and stones. I ride a honda foreman 400 and my 10 year old rides an altered honda 250.

I haven't been able to find mud flaps or fenders made specifically for this model. Has anyone else delt with this problem and what did you do to correct it. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!

Rick

Old 02-11-2004, 02:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default Mud question

This is too funny.A 400 and a 250 honda getting roosted by a 90.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Try making him bring up the rear or is the 90 too fast for you guys.Getting muddy is half the fun[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-11-2004, 04:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Mud question

I don't think you understood what I ment. I would expect everyone to be muddy when we go out to "play". But in this instance we are using the quads on the farm to do chores and for transportation. When running normally down a damp dirt road w/ no standing water the kid gets covered from top to bottom in mud, dirt & grit. The problem is that the fenders do not cover the wheels and unfortunatly I didn't pick up on what this would mean before I bought it. The other two quads don't have this problem. I just want him to be able to slip out and feed the cows, pick up the mail, ect. and come back w/out having to strip down each time before he can come back into the house.

So my question is, does anyone make a replacement fender of any type that would fit this quad that would reduce the amount of junk thrown up from the tires. Or is my best bet to fabricate something myself.

R

Old 02-11-2004, 07:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mud question

hallway,

When I read your first post, I started to laugh. I immediately reflected back on the summer "mud runs" with my AC 500I and my son's Pred-90 used to do. We'd spin in our local mud so much, you could see the clumps of mud dangling from the glass side of our mirrors. His Pred-90 was covered in so much mud, you couldn't tell its base colour. I can also remember when both of us had to take our hands and wipe the sprayed mud from each of our face sheilds. Each time we came home from our mud runs, my wife would wash each of off with a garden hose - then we'd be allowed to go into the house. Yes, many of those "mud days" both of us hope to enjoy in the near future.

I'm NOT too sure if "full fender" plastic from another mini will fit your scrambler. As an option, you may want to investigate the idea of installing large Transport wheel type mud flaps on your mini. Being on a farm, you probably have a welder. With some small pieces of steel for reinforcement and a a pair of tin snips to cut the rubber, this idea might work for you.

Hope this helps....

Old 02-12-2004, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider
Default Mud question

I was just looking at a picture of my cousins 02 scrambler 90.In the pics it appears that the fenders are cut in pretty narrow leaving part of the front and rear tires exposed.You may be able to go along the edge of the fender with some rubber or something to make them a little wider.If you look at a picture of a Yamaha Warriors front fenders you will see what I mean.They have different coloured plastic along the outer edge area that I'm talking about.

Old 02-12-2004, 04:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mud question

If I had one big complaint about the '03 Raptor 80 we have, it's that they're so busy trying to be GQ-stylin with that Raptor look, they forgot about the crud that gets thrown up from the tires. we had an '87 yamaha moto 80. zero suspension, but normal design and never had that problem. this '03 is probably the same drive train with one less gear and suspension, but gives the appearance of sitting up higher on the shocks, and the plastic is cut at an angle away from the tire towards the center of the atv. I notice tons of off-shore stuff seems to copy this look. very stylin, looks pretty, but totally impractical (musta been a fashion designer and not a mud/water rider). When you ride it, location of hands/wrists on handlebars causes them to always get extra dirty/wet/muddy. can't wait till we're going fast on gravel logging road one day and a chunk gets thrown clean to wrist/ hand, causing sudden pull away motion and total loss of control.

nice piece of engineering you Alices at Yamaha. hope it matches your purse and earrings.

as for your problem, I thought the same thing about riggin' your own mudflaps. I used old conveyor belt on my sons little Caterpeg tractor years ago. I wasn't as glamorous as I hacked up plastic to screw them on. Spike 99 has a great idea. add flat-iron and bolt on to existing holes, then add extra holes on same flatiron and use old conveyor belt or something that will protect from spray (and maintain some arch). You only really need to cover the tire near the foot peg area because that's where it's coming from.using that idea, you don't hack up the factory plastic.

I know this sounds stupid, but for $7 in the surplus section at a local discount place, I got the full yellow rain jacket, hat and pants. can get that as grubby as ya want and it fits over whatever I'm trying to keep clean. it's still a pain for your son to have to get in and out of all the time for a quick chore, but it will cut down on the laundry and mess in the house. he won't win any GQ contests either.

Old 02-13-2004, 04:59 PM
Trailblazer
Default Mud question

Funny this topic has come up. My son also has the Pred. 90 with the same mud issues. I guess I will try the raingear as well.
Dogg

Old 02-13-2004, 06:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Mud question

I appreciate the ideas that you guys threw out. Next week I'm going to take a day and see if I can fabricate something that will work. I'm thinking along the line of homemade mud flaps. I'll let you know what I come up with and more importantly how it works.

R.

Old 02-16-2004, 10:03 PM
Trailblazer
Default Mud question

Hallway,
I read your question earlier and found the following mudflaps this evening. They may save you some time...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...412&hasJS=true

Dogg

Old 02-16-2004, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mud question

Really Cool picture of their mudguards. For an auto-link url, press: Press Here

If only they had more pictures of their product. Nevertheless, they look like they might work.

Quick Reply: Mud question